What Discounts Does State Farm Offer for Auto Insurance?
Last Updated on March 24, 2023
Car insurance can be very expensive, even with an insurance company like State Farm that’s known to offer low rates. Unfortunately, it’s not getting cheaper. The cost of insuring a vehicle seems to be rising year after year. Because of this, if you want to save some money, it’s important to take advantage of every discount that is offered for your auto insurance policy.
If you choose to insure your vehicle with State Farm, your discount opportunities will be endless. State Farm offers a vast array of discounts on its auto insurance policies. These State Farm discounts include accident-free discounts, good driver discounts, defensive driving course discounts, anti-theft device discounts, and good student discounts. Of course, State Farm’s discount list doesn’t end there. Continue reading to learn all about these discounts and the other discounts that State Farm offers on their car insurance coverage.
State Farm Safe Driver Discounts
Like most of the larger car insurance companies, State Farm has discounts available for safe drivers. State Farm actually offers many more of these safe driver discounts than some other car insurance companies.
- Accident-Free Discount: This is a discount that you can only get after you have been with State Farm for three years. If you do not have any accidents within that three-year time frame, you will receive a discount. This discount can increase over time if you continue to be accident-free.
- Defensive Driving Course Discount: This discount is not available in all states. You may be able to get a discount by taking a defensive driving course. For more information on whether this is available in your state, contact a State Farm agent.
- Good Driver Discount: You can get this discount as soon as you sign up with State Farm. This discount is available for drivers who have had no traffic violations or negative entries on their driving records in the previous three years.
- Drive Safe and Save: If you download the smartphone app and sign up, or if you sign up using your OnStar service, you could save money on your car insurance through safe driving habits. The app or Onstar tracks your driving behaviors and your rate is adjusted accordingly.
State Farm Safe Vehicle Discounts
More and more car insurance companies are giving discounts for having a safe vehicle. You can get these discounts based on the year, make, and model of your vehicle and the features that it has. You may have to ask for these discounts, especially if the features do not come standard on the make and model car that you have.
- Safe Vehicle Discount: If your car was made in 1994 or newer, you could get a discount of up to 40 percent depending on the make and model, mileage, and other factors. This discount is not well explained by State Farm, so it is important that you ask about this discount when you call for a quote.
- Passive Restraint Discount: Vehicles made in 1993 or newer that have airbags or other passive restraint systems will qualify for up to 40 percent discount on medical coverage.
- Anti-Theft Discount: If you are getting comprehensive coverage that covers theft, you can get a discount on this portion of your coverage if your vehicle has an anti-theft device. Ask your State Farm agent for information about which anti-theft devices qualify.
State Farm Discounts for Young Drivers
How does State Farm compare to other insurers?
Young drivers often pay the most for car insurance because they are inexperienced drivers. Any discounts that you can get for your teens or young adults on your policy will help you save money on car insurance. Usually, these discounts will not be available on an online quote. You’ll need to ask about these discounts when you speak to a State Farm agent.
- Student Away At School Discount: If you have a child under the age of 25 who only drives the family car on holidays and school breaks, you can get a discount on your car insurance based on their limited driving and access to the vehicle.
- Driver Training Discount: Any young driver who completes a driver’s education course is eligible for a discount. You will have to show proof of course completion to get the discount.
- Good Student Discount: This discount doesn’t just apply to teenagers. Any student under the age of 25 can save up to 25 percent for getting good grades. Report cards or grade statements from college are required to get and maintain this discount.
- Steer Clear Discount: The State Farm Steer Clear program is a discount for new drivers and drivers up to age 25. If you have not had any accidents or tickets in three years, you could get up to 15 percent off your car insurance.
Other State Farm Discounts
Like most car insurance companies, State Farm offers discounts for loyal customers who use State Farm for more than one vehicle’s car insurance coverage. You can get a discount for having multiple cars on the same policy. You can also get a discount for bundling your home or renter’s insurance and auto insurance.
- Multiple Line Discount: State Farm offers a wide range of insurance products, not just auto insurance. If you buy home insurance, condo insurance, renters insurance, or life insurance from State Farm, in addition to your auto insurance, you could save up to 17% on your policies. This is known as a multi-line discount or a bundling discount.
- Multi-Vehicle Discount: Do you have multiple vehicles in your household? If you own more than one car and insure them all at State Farm, you could save up to 20% on your total auto insurance bill.
If you are looking for affordable auto insurance, it’s always best to compare quotes and discounts offered by a few different insurance providers. Remember to contact an agent by phone or in person to inquire about all of the discounts you might be eligible for. If you have already decided on State Farm for coverage, or you already have a State Farm auto insurance policy, be sure to review this list to make sure there aren’t any discount opportunities you’re missing out on.