What Discounts Does State Farm Offer?
Last Updated on
It is no secret that car insurance can be very expensive. In addition to shopping around for the best rates, it is important to know what discounts are offered. Often discounts are more likely if you work with an agent over getting an online quote. Sometimes you have to ask about discounts to receive them, and knowing what discounts State Farm offers will help you get the most accurate and least expensive quote on your car insurance.
Safe Driver Discounts
Like most of the larger car insurance companies, State Farm has discounts available for safe drivers. State Farm actually offers many more of these safe driver discounts than some other car insurance companies.
- Accident Free Discount: This is a discount that you can only get after you have been with State Farm for three years. If you do not have any accidents within that three year time frame, you will receive a discount. This discount can increase over time if you continue to be accident free.
- Defensive Driving Course Discount: This discount is not available in all states. You may be able to get a discount by taking a defensive driving course. For more information on whether this is available in your state, contact a State Farm agent.
- Good Driving Discount: You can get this discount as soon as you sign up with State Farm. This discount is available for drivers who have had no traffic violations or negative entries on their driving record in the previous three years.
- Drive Safe and Save: If you download the smartphone app and sign up, or if you sign up using your Onstar service, you could save money on your car insurance through safe driving habits. The app or Onstar tracks your driving behaviors and your rate is adjusted accordingly.
Safe Vehicle Discounts
More and more car insurance companies are giving discounts for having a safe vehicle. You can get these discounts based on the year, make, and model of your vehicle and the features that it has. You may have to ask for these discounts, especially if the features do not come standard on the make and model car that you have.
- Safe Vehicle Discount: If your car was made in 1994 or newer you could get a discount of up to 40 percent depending on the make and model, mileage, and other factors. This discount is not well explained by State Farm, so it is important that you ask about this discount when you call for a quote.
- Passive Restraint Discount: Vehicles made in 1993 or newer that have air bags or other passive restraint system will qualify for up to 40 percent discount on medical coverage.
- Anti-Theft Discount: If you are getting comprehensive coverage that covers theft, you can get a discount on this portion of your coverage if your vehicle has an anti-theft device.
Discounts for Young Drivers
Young drivers often pay the most for car insurance because they are inexperienced drivers. Any discounts that you can get for your teens or young adults on your policy will help you save money on car insurance. These discounts will not be available on an online quote in some cases, but you can ask for the discount when you talk to an agent.
- Student Away At School Discount: If you have a child under the age of 25 who only drives the family car on holidays and school breaks, you can get a discount on your car insurance based on their limited driving and access to the vehicle.
- Driver Training Discount: Any young driver who completes a driver’s education course is eligible for a discount. You will have to show proof of course completion to get the discount.
- Good Student Discount: This discount doesn’t just apply to teenagers. Any student under the age of 25 can save up to 25 percent for getting good grades. Report cards or grade statements from college are required to get and maintain this discount.
- Steer Clear Discount: This discount is for new drivers and drivers up to age 25. If you have not had any accidents or tickets in three years you could get up to 15 percent off on your car insurance.
Like most car insurance companies, State Farm offers discounts for loyal customers who use State Farm for more than one vehicle’s car insurance coverage. You can get a discount for having multiple cars on the same policy. You can also get a discount for bundling your home or renter’s insurance and auto insurance.
If you are searching for reasonably priced car insurance, contact State Farm and other car insurance companies to compare rates and discounts. Remember to contact an agent if you are unsure that you are getting all of the discounts you may be eligible for.