Best Car Insurance in Delaware
Last Updated on May 27, 2021
Drivers in Delaware pay slightly higher rates for car insurance than the average American. Statewide, the average Delaware driver pays around $1,476 per year for car insurance, higher than the nationwide average of $1,450 per year.
Fortunately, there are plenty of ways for Delaware drivers to save on car insurance. By comparing quotes, picking the right company for your unique needs, and taking advantage of discounts, drivers in Delaware can save hundreds per year on car insurance.
Table of Contents
- Best Auto Insurance Companies in Delaware
- Delaware Auto Insurance Requirements
- Driving Without Insurance in Delaware
- Car Insurance in Delaware with a DUI
- Car Insurance in Delaware with At-Fault Accidents
- Car Insurance in Delaware with Speeding Tickets
- Car Insurance in Delaware for Young Drivers
- Car Insurance in Delaware with Poor Credit
- SR-22 Insurance in Delaware
Top 10 Auto Insurance Companies in Delaware
Shopping for car insurance in Delaware can be overwhelming. There are dozens of local providers and nationwide insurers. Insurers make similar promises: they all claim to protect your car while offering good customer service and coverage.
However, not all Delaware insurance companies are equal. Here are the top ten best auto insurance companies in Delaware, according to quotes provided to our model driver profiles.
- USAA: In nearly every state in America, USAA is the cheapest car insurance company. USAA is also frequently the top-rated insurance company by J.D. Power, scoring top marks for customer service and claims satisfaction. The average annual premium with USAA in Delaware is around $1,043 per year, hundreds of dollars lower than the statewide average.
- State Farm: State Farm is the cheapest insurance company in Delaware for drivers who don’t qualify for USAA. State Farm has very affordable prices on minimum liability insurance plans, full coverage plans, and other plans. They’re cheap for drivers with a clean record, and they’re cheap for drivers with a history of accidents. You could pay as little as $1,064 per year for full coverage car insurance with State Farm in Delaware.
- GEICO: GEICO is a popular and well-known insurance company available in urban and rural areas of Delaware. GEICO is known for its average to fair customer service and claims satisfaction combined with cheap prices. In Delaware, the average GEICO policyholder pays around $1,099 per year for full coverage car insurance, according to rates provided to our average driver profiles.
- Travelers: Travelers is one of America’s largest insurance companies, although it doesn’t have the same recognition as other providers on this list. In Delaware, Travelers is more affordable than its larger competitors, offering discount rates on car insurance with prices similar to GEICO. The average Travelers policyholder pays around $1,111 per year for full coverage car insurance in Delaware.
- California Casualty: Cal Casualty is popular across the United States, offering discounted rates to teachers, nurses, firefighters, and more. In Delaware, they’re one of the best-rated and best-value insurers for qualifying professionals. Rates can be as low as $1,125 per year with California Casualty in Delaware.
- Progressive: As the third-largest property insurance company in the United States, Progressive offers competitive rates in all corners of the country. Progressive’s rates in Delaware are competitive with other providers, charging drivers around $1,146 per year, on average, for full coverage car insurance.
- Nationwide: Nationwide is one of the largest car insurance companies in the United States, so it makes sense they offer competitive prices to drivers across Delaware. With extensive discounts and bundling options available, Nationwide can be on your side in Delaware for around $1,163 per year, on average, according to our analysis.
- Allstate: Allstate offers the amenities of a large insurance company combined with affordable rates and good claims satisfaction. Although rarely the cheapest in any state, Allstate offers good claims satisfaction and strong customer service in Delaware and other states, charging drivers around $1,170 per year for full coverage car insurance.
- Donegal Mutual: Donegal Mutual isn’t as well-known as other providers on this list, but the Pennsylvania-based company insures drivers across Delaware and neighboring states. Expect to pay around $1,341 per year for full coverage car insurance in Delaware with Donegal Mutual.
- Liberty Mutual: Liberty Mutual is known for its strong J.D. Power ratings, excellent financial strength, and premium-quality service and claims satisfaction. Liberty Mutual is not the cheapest insurer in Delaware or most other states, but policyholders are generally happy with their Liberty Mutual policy. Liberty Mutual charges rates of around $1,449 per year in Delaware for full coverage car insurance.
Delaware Insurance Requirements
To meet Delaware’s minimum insurance requirements, your policy needs to meet the following minimum limits:
- $25,000 of bodily injury liability coverage per person
- $50,000 of bodily injury liability coverage per accident
- $10,000 of property damage liability coverage
- $15,000 of personal injury protection (PIP) coverage per person, $30,000 of PIP coverage per accident
Most states require drivers to carry liability coverage, but Delaware is one of the few states requiring drivers to carry PIP coverage. PIP covers medical bills, lost wages, and other costs for you and your passengers after an accident, regardless of fault.
The limits above are the minimum requirements from the state of Delaware. If you are leasing or financing your vehicle, then you likely need full coverage car insurance per the terms of your lending agreement. Full coverage car insurance includes collision coverage and comprehensive coverage, which cover physical damage to your vehicle from accidents and other causes.
Driving Without Insurance in Delaware
You must carry car insurance to legally drive on public roads in Delaware. Failing to carry car insurance will lead to steep fines and penalties. Like other states, Delaware increases punishment based on the number of times you have been caught driving without insurance.
If you are caught driving without insurance in Delaware, you may face the following penalties:
- First Offense: $1,500 to $2,000 fine and 6 month license suspension.
- Second & Subsequent Offenses: $3,000 to $4,000 fine, 6 month license suspension, andFR-19 requirement.
Drivers may face additional penalties if they fail to respond to the ticket within the given time period, or if they continue to drive uninsured after receiving a citation.
Law enforcement officers can request proof of insurance at the scene of an accident, at a traffic stop, and in certain other situations.
The Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) may also randomly audit you and require proof of insurance. If you don’t respond to this audit request within a certain period, then you could receive an uninsured motorist citation. Your registration may be suspended if you don’t respond to the audit request within the given time, for example. You may also be charged an additional fine of $100 if your coverage lapses within 30 days of the conviction, then an additional $5 per day for each day beyond 30.
Car Insurance in Delaware with DUI
A conviction for driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI) will raise car insurance rates in Delaware and all other states. After multiple DUI convictions, you may need to use a high-risk insurer, as ordinary insurers could deny your business.
Fortunately, some insurers continue to charge competitive rates in Delaware even after a DUI. Consider requesting a quote from the following insurers if you have a DUI on your record in Delaware:
- USAA: $1,593 per year
- GEICO: $1,671 per year
- Travelers: $1,713 per year
- Progressive: $1,719 per year
- State Farm: $1,832 per year
Car Insurance in Delaware with At-Fault Accidents
One or more at-fault accidents can tell insurers you’re a high-risk driver. Most insurers check your driving record to verify your accident history. If you have one or more at-fault accidents within the last three to seven years, then you could pay significantly higher rates for car insurance.
Fortunately, some insurers charge cheap rates even if drivers have a bad accident history, including the following insurers:
- USAA: $1,493 per year
- GEICO: $1,525 per year
- Travelers: $1,563 per year
- Progressive: $1,619 per year
- State Farm: $1,711 per year
Car Insurance in Delaware with Speeding Tickets
Although not as serious as DUIs or at-fault accidents, speeding tickets can cause car insurance rates to rise. If you have a speeding ticket in Delaware, then you could pay higher rates for car insurance. Drivers with multiple speeding tickets could be considered high-risk drivers to insure.
The best car insurance companies in Delaware for drivers with speeding tickets include:
- USAA: $1,113 per year
- GEICO: $1,171 per year
- Travelers: $1,213 per year
- Nationwide: $1,219 per year
- State Farm: $1,332 per year
Car Insurance in Delaware for Young Drivers
Young drivers are the highest-risk drivers to insure in every state. Young drivers are risky to insure because they cause more accidents than drivers in any other demographic. As a young driver, you will always pay higher rates for car insurance than older, more experienced drivers who have a safe record.
Fortunately, some insurance companies in Delaware cater to young drivers. Young drivers can balance the insurance pool. The best Delaware insurance companies for young drivers are:
- USAA: $1,713 per year
- GEICO: $1,862 per year
- Travelers: $1,913 per year
- Nationwide: $2,009 per year
- State Farm: $2,032 per year
Car Insurance in Delaware with Poor Credit
The state of Delaware allows insurance companies to use credit scores to calculate insurance premiums. Drivers with a bad credit score or no credit score could pay over $1,000 more per year for car insurance than drivers with a good credit score.
Generally, car insurance premiums will not vary significantly for drivers with average and good credit scores. However, drivers with poor credit will pay significantly higher rates. Check the following insurance companies in Delaware if you have a bad credit score:
- GEICO: $1,962 per year
- Allstate: $2,013 per year
- Nationwide: $2,119 per year
- Travelers: $2,131 per year
- State Farm: $2,232 per year
SR-22 Insurance in Delaware
Drivers in Delaware may need to obtain SR-22 insurance if they are considered high-risk. If you have let your car insurance lapse, caused multiple accidents, or been convicted of multiple DUIs in recent years, then you could require SR-22 coverage.
The SR-22 is a certificate verifying you meet Delaware’s minimum insurance requirements. Your insurer submits a form to the DMV verifying you have valid coverage. After providing the form, the DMV may reinstate your license or driving privileges.
Most major insurers can provide an SR-22 certificate to reinstate your driving privileges. However, certain high-risk drivers may need to work with specialty insurers.
Delaware and Maryland are the only two states in America that require the FR-19 form. In Delaware, the DMV may require you to submit an FR-19 to certify you meet the state’s minimum liability auto insurance coverage on your registered vehicle. Only your insurer can submit the FR-19. After submitting the FR-19, the DMV may reinstate your license or validate your driving privileges.
Contact your insurer to ask about SR-22 or FR-19 certificates. Depending on your driving history, you may need to ask your insurer to submit the SR-22 or FR-19 certificate to the DMV to reinstate your license and registration.
Conclusion: How to Find the Best Auto Insurance in Delaware
Drivers in Delaware have plenty of options for car insurance. Delaware drivers pay close to the nationwide average for car insurance premiums. However, drivers can save hundreds per year by shopping around, comparing quotes, and taking advantage of discounts.
To learn more about the best auto insurance in Delaware, or to find the best auto insurance policy for your unique needs, compare Delaware car insurance quotes online today from any of our top-rated providers above.