Will Progressive Insure a Rebuilt Title?
Last Updated on October 23, 2023
If you have a car with a rebuilt title that has passed inspection and no longer has a salvage title, then you may be able to buy liability-only coverage (or even full coverage) through Progressive.
Keep reading to find out everything you need to know about how Progressive insures a vehicle with a rebuilt title.
- Progressive is willing to insure vehicles with rebuilt titles, unlike many insurers who avoid cars with salvage titles.
- While liability-only coverage is commonly provided for rebuilt title vehicles, full coverage is available upon passing an additional inspection.
- Insurance rates for rebuilt title cars are generally higher due to the challenges in valuation and the perceived higher risk of accidents.
- The average cost of full coverage insurance for a rebuilt title car with Progressive is approximately $1,668 per year, while liability-only coverage averages around $842 per year.
Yes, Progressive Offers Rebuilt Title Car Insurance
Progressive, like several other major insurers, will insure a vehicle with a rebuilt title.
No reputable insurer insures a vehicle with a salvage title. These vehicles have been severely damaged by an accident, flood, fire, or other major incident.
Once a vehicle with a salvage title has been repaired and passed inspection, however, the vehicle receives a rebuilt title. The rebuilt title indicates the car is safe to drive.
Contact Progressive to request a quote on your rebuilt title vehicle. As one of the largest insurers in the United States, Progressive covers millions of vehicles nationwide – including thousands of vehicles with salvage titles.
How Rebuilt Title Car Insurance Works with Progressive
Progressive will generally provide insurance to vehicles with a rebuilt title.
Like most insurers, Progressive can provide liability-only coverage to most vehicles with a rebuilt title. Liability-only coverage covers damage or injuries you cause to other people when driving.
If your vehicle passes an additional inspection, however, then Progressive may also provide full coverage car insurance, which includes liability, collision, and comprehensive coverage.
Some insurers are reluctant to provide full coverage to vehicles with a rebuilt title because it’s difficult to evaluate risk and vehicle value. However, Progressive may provide full coverage car insurance in certain situations.
Here’s how each coverage works:
Liability-Only Coverage: Liability-only coverage includes any coverages legally required by your state, which typically includes bodily injury and property damage liability coverage. Some states also require medical payments coverage, personal injury protection, or uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, among other coverages. When buying liability-only coverage for a rebuilt title vehicle through Progressive, you can meet or exceed your state’s minimum limits.
Full Coverage: Full coverage includes liability, collision, and comprehensive coverage. Collision coverage covers the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle after an accident, while comprehensive coverage covers non-accident-related damages. To receive full coverage car insurance from Progressive on a rebuilt title vehicle, you may need to complete an additional inspection.
Why Rebuilt Title Car Insurance Costs More
Contact Progressive to request a quote on your rebuilt title car insurance. You may find the quote is higher than you would normally pay for a vehicle of that make and model.
Progressive, like most insurers, tends to charge higher rates for rebuilt title cars for two reasons:
- Difficult Valuation: Rebuilt title cars have undergone significant repairs. They’re much different than base models straight from the dealership or manufacturer. Insurance companies use statistics to calculate valuations and risk. When your car has undergone major repairs and received a rebuilt title, it’s difficult to estimate an accurate value for the vehicle. Progressive errs on the side of caution by charging higher rates.
- Higher Risk of an Accident: Even if your rebuilt title vehicle has been perfectly repaired, your vehicle is perceived to have a higher risk of being involved in an accident. Cars that have undergone major repairs could have a higher risk of being involved in an accident in the future. There could be hidden damages from the previous accident, for example. Your car might drive 20 more years safely and accident-free, but Progressive charges higher rates because of the perceived higher risk of an accident.
Because of these two factors, you can expect to pay higher-than-average rates for rebuilt title insurance with Progressive.
Generally, Progressive charges around $1,467 per year for full coverage car insurance. If insuring a rebuilt title car, however, you could pay around $1,668 per year.
Or, if you buy liability-only coverage, then you could pay around $842 per year with Progressive – with limited protection for your own vehicle after an accident.
As with all insurance, rebuilt title car insurance varies widely in price based on driving history, vehicle value, state insurance laws, ZIP code, and dozens of other factors.
Progressive can generally insure a vehicle with a rebuilt title.
As long as your vehicle has been repaired and passed inspection and no longer has a salvage title, you should be able to receive liability-only insurance through Progressive. If your vehicle has passed an additional inspection, you may even be able to buy full coverage car insurance through Progressive.