Is It Possible to Find Cheap Car Insurance in Houston?
Last Updated on November 18, 2021
Finding cheap car insurance in Houston can be challenging.
Like many big cities in America, Houston has higher car insurance premiums than rural areas and smaller towns. Houston is the fourth most populous city in the United States, and big cities have higher population density, more accidents, and more vehicle thefts than other areas.
Fortunately, it’s still possible to find cheap car insurance in Houston. In fact, with a little bit of work, you can easily find cheap car insurance in Houston and the Houston metro area.
Want to pay less for car insurance in Houston? Keep reading to discover everything you need to know about finding cheap car insurance in Houston, Texas.
Table of Contents:
- Best Cheap Car Insurance Companies in Houston
- Tips for Finding the Cheapest Car Insurance in Houston
- Factors that Impact Car Insurance Premiums in Houston
Best Cheap Car Insurance Companies in Houston
The best way to find cheap car insurance in Houston is to compare rates with multiple insurers. Insurers charge different rates to different drivers. Some insurers prefer adding older, experienced drivers to their pool. Other insurers prefer medium-risk drivers because they can charge higher premiums.
Based on your demographics and driving history, you can find the cheapest car insurance company for your unique needs by shopping around.
Compare quotes from all of the following providers in Houston to find the best cheap car insurance premiums:
GEICO: GEICO is the second-largest car insurance company in the United States and one of the most popular insurers in Texas. They’re also known for offering some of the cheapest overall insurance premiums in the country. GEICO offers cheaper rates than any other insurer in Houston except for USAA, with average premiums starting at around $1,493 per year for full coverage car insurance.
State Farm: State Farm insures more people across the United States than any other car insurance company. Like GEICO, they’re known for competitive prices and a diverse range of auto insurance products and services. They’re one of the cheapest car insurance companies in Houston. Expect to pay around $1,552 per year for full coverage car insurance in Houston with State Farm.
USAA: If you are an active duty or retired member of the military, or if someone in your family is a USAA member, then you could buy car insurance through USAA in Houston. J.D. Power frequently scores USAA as the best car insurance company in the United States based on customer service and claims satisfaction (although they’re not officially ranked because of the eligibility requirements). In Houston, USAA is known for offering competitive prices on a wide range of auto insurance products and services – all while maintaining high standards for customer service and claims satisfaction. USAA charges as little as $1,323 per year, on average, for car insurance in Houston, according to our research.
Allstate: Allstate is the third-largest car insurance company in Texas. The company charges around $1,602 per year for full coverage car insurance in Houston. Customers who take advantage of bundling opportunities and discounts with Allstate could pay even less for car insurance.
Progressive: Another large and well-known insurance company, Progressive is a popular and well-rated car insurance company serving Houston and all of Texas. Our research shows that Progressive customers pay around $1,663 per year for full coverage car insurance in Houston with Progressive. In fact, Progressive is the fourth largest car insurance company in Texas, trailing only Allstate, GEICO, and State Farm.
Tips for Finding the Cheapest Car Insurance in Houston
Finding the cheapest car insurance in Houston can be easy – if you know where to look. By comparing quotes, working with an insurance agent, and taking advantage of discounts, you can pay the cheapest possible price for car insurance in Houston.
Some of the best tips for finding cheap car insurance in Houston include:
Shop Around: Compare quotes with multiple insurers to ensure you’re working with the cheapest possible company. Get a minimum of four insurance quotes before picking a company you like. Some companies cater to drivers with your demographic and driving history. Other companies do not.
Adjust Coverage: After finding the right car insurance company, adjust coverage to ensure you’re getting the right coverage for your unique needs. Some people need only the minimum liability coverage with no comprehensive or collision coverage, for example (say, if you drive an older vehicle). Others need $2 million of umbrella coverage to protect their assets.
Work with an Insurance Agent: Sometimes, it’s in your best interest to work with an insurance agent. These independent agents analyze your needs, then connect you with the ideal insurance company for your unique needs.
Drive a Safe Vehicle: Vehicles have different insurance prices. Some cars have costly insurance premiums because they have poor safety ratings, for example. Others have a wide range of safety and security features that push the price down further. Drive a safe vehicle to push Houston car insurance premiums as low as possible.
Improve your Credit Score: Car insurance companies in Texas are allowed to use your credit score to calculate insurance premiums. If you have a bad credit score or no credit score, then you could pay double or even triple the car insurance premiums of other drivers in Houston. Improve your credit score to save on car insurance.
Factors that Impact Car Insurance Premiums in Houston
To find cheap car insurance in Houston, you need to understand the factors that impact car insurance in Houston.
Some of the factors that affect the price of car insurance in Houston include:
- ZIP Code: Insurers check your ZIP code when calculating insurance premiums. If you park your vehicle in an unsafe ZIP code at night, or in a ZIP code with high accident rates, then you’ll pay more for car insurance. Car insurance companies also charge higher rates for comprehensive coverage if you live in a ZIP code with high rates of vehicle theft.
- Rising Medical Costs: America has some of the highest medical costs in the world, and those costs rise every year. Insurers need to cover medical bills after an accident. As medical costs in Houston continue to rise, insurers charge higher rates every year.
- Rising Labor Costs: Labor costs in a city like Houston are higher than in surrounding areas. Insurance companies need to pay car repair companies to repair your vehicle. As the cost of labor continues to rise in Houston, car insurance companies raise rates to compensate.
- Driving History: Drivers with multiple at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and other incidents pay more for car insurance than drivers with a clean record. If you have a bad driving history, you’ll pay more for car insurance in Houston than drivers with a clean record.
- Age & Gender: Texas, like most states, allows insurers to charge different premiums based on age and gender. Young male drivers pay significantly higher rates for car insurance than young female drivers, for example, while older male drivers tend to pay cheaper rates than older female drivers. Although you can’t change your age, it will impact insurance rates.
- Coverage Options: Do you want full coverage car insurance? Or do you want minimum liability insurance to drive on the road legally? Minimum liability insurance plans cost just $500 per year in Houston, while full coverage car insurance plans cost $1,500 or more, on average.
Because of all of these factors, car insurance premiums in Houston vary widely – and they’re rising every year.
Final Word on Finding Cheap Car Insurance in Houston
It’s possible to find cheap car insurance in Houston. By shopping around and comparing quotes, you can find the cheapest possible car insurance for your unique needs.
Compare car insurance quotes in Houston, Texas today to ensure you’re paying the cheapest possible rates for your car insurance needs.