What Discounts Does GEICO Offer For Car Insurance?
Last Updated on August 15, 2022
Everyone has heard the commercials for GEICO saying that you can save 15 percent or more on your car insurance. How exactly can they advertise this? Because they offer a wide range of discounts. Some of the discounts that GEICO offers on auto insurance are similar to those of other companies, but they also have additional discounts that you won’t find anywhere. Understanding all of the discounts that GEICO offers will help you determine if they are the cheapest option for you.
Vehicle Safety Discounts
Some GEICO discounts are related to the safety equipment that your vehicle may have. The more safety equipment you have on your vehicle, the bigger the discounts. Of course, this generally means that the newer your car is, the more likely you will qualify for these discounts. The safety features that they offer discounts for are fairly common in newer models.
The primary GEICO discounts you can get for vehicle safety features include:
- Airbag Discount: You get an additional discount for each airbag installed in the vehicle. Depending on how many airbags you have, you can save up to 40 percent on some parts of your coverage. For driver-side airbags, GEICO offers a 25% discount. For full front-seat airbags, GEICO offers a 40% discount.
- Anti-lock Brakes: Anti-lock brakes are standard in newer models and can earn you a 5% discount on your collision coverage.
- Anti-Theft and Alarm Systems: If your vehicle has a manufacturer’s built-in anti-theft system or you have an alarm system professionally installed it can earn you up to a 25% discount on your comprehensive coverage.
- Daytime Running Lights: If your vehicle has daytime running lights it is deemed safer and can earn you a 1% discount on your car insurance with GEICO.
- New Vehicle Discount: If your vehicle is three years old or newer, GEICO offers up to a 15% discount on some of their car insurance products.
GEICO Discounts for Safe Drivers
Many car insurance companies have discounts for safe drivers, and GEICO is no different. If you have been without any citations on your driving record for five years, you may qualify for the GEICO good driver discount. You can also get a discount if you have not had any accidents in five years. Currently, GEICO offers a 26% discount for five years of accident-free driving.
In addition to these discounts, GEICO has an accident forgiveness program. If you have an accident while getting the GEICO good driver discount, you can have one accident forgiven without your rates increasing.
Recently, GEICO also released its DriveEasy program, which uses a mobile phone app to track your driving habits. If the app determines that you are a safe driver, you can receive up to a 20% discount on your car insurance premiums. To start using DriveEasy, simply install the app on your phone and start driving. Your driving will be detected automatically as long as it is installed on your phone.
Government and Association Discounts
GEICO partners with a number of government organizations, professional associations, and corporations to offer discounts to employees or members. All government employees can get a discount with GEICO. Many corporations also partner with GEICO. If you are a government or corporate employee, check with your human resources department to see if any of these discounts might apply to you.
Additional GEICO Discounts
There are a number of other discounts that GEICO offers for both young and older drivers. These discounts are available upon request. Make sure that you ask your GEICO agent about these discounts if they apply to you.
- Seatbelt Commitment: If all drivers on the policy commit to wearing their seatbelts, it can save you up to 15 percent on your premiums.
- Defensive Driving Courses: In some states, you may be able to get a discount on your car insurance by taking a defensive driving course.
- Driver’s Education: Young drivers who complete a driver’s education course receive a discount from GEICO with a certificate of completion.
- Good Student: High school and college students who maintain good grades and a clean driving record could get a significant discount.
- Military Discount: GEICO does offer a discount for active-duty military personnel and veterans.
- Multi-Car Discount: As with most car insurance companies, you can get a multi-car discount if you have multiple cars.
If it seems that any of these discounts may apply to you, ask your GEICO agent about the discounts available in your state. Most of these discounts are available in all states, although some states have specific rules about what car insurance companies can offer.
GEICO allows you to stack discounts to get the best rates. If you qualify for a number of GEICO discounts, you could wind up saving much more than 15 percent on your car insurance. If you have a good driving record, safety measures on your vehicle, multiple cars and drivers, and other available discounts, these can all add up to tremendous savings.
It is important to note that GEICO may not be your cheapest option without the available discounts. Depending on your circumstances, it is generally a good idea to get several car insurance quotes before deciding what company to have your policy with. You may get a better deal elsewhere. However, most online quotes do not consider all the potential discounts, so you may want to contact them directly for a detailed quote.