How Does MAPFRE DriveAdvisor Work? Does It Save You Money?
Last Updated on December 8, 2020
In recent years, more and more auto insurance companies have started rewarding good driving behavior by using technology to monitor the way you behave on the roads. MAPFRE is one of the companies offering this option, with their DriveAdvisor Program available to those who carry a MAPFRE policy. Let’s take a closer look at this program and whether it or not it may be right for you.
What is DriveAdvisor?
If you are a MAPFRE customer, or if you are considering making a switch to MAPFRE auto insurance, you may be eligible to take part in the DriveAdvisor Program.
Here are the basics of how it works –
- Once you enroll in the program, you will download an app to your iOS or Android device.
- As you drive with your device in the vehicle, the app will track your driving patterns and evaluate how you are behaving behind the wheel.
- The app collects data each time you take a drive, and it can also be installed on the devices of anyone else on your insurance plan.
- If you are demonstrating safe driving habits, you may earn a discount on your car insurance rates.
- Also, you can review your patterns to observe areas of your driving habits that can be improved.
One of the best things about using DriveAdvisor is that it is easy to implement in your day to day life. As long as you have an iOS or Android device – and most people do – and as long as you have auto insurance through MAPFRE, you can get started in the program without any trouble.
What Behaviors Are Monitored?
Obviously, an app on your phone can’t track everything about your driving performance, since it isn’t a live camera that is observing all of the activity around you. For instance, if you are cut off by another vehicle and have to make an evasive maneuver, the app isn’t going to know about the actions of the other driver.
But there are some ways in which this kind of app can evaluate your driving. The app uses GPS technology to monitor the movements of your car during each trip, keeping an eye on three specific types of actions –
- Braking hard. Generally speaking, braking hard on a regular basis is a sign that you are following too close or going too fast up to a stop sign. There might be the occasional instance that is out of your control where you need to brake quickly – as with our example above – but if there is a pattern of braking hard consistently that will affect your score.
- Accelerating too quickly. If you start too aggressively from a stopped position over and over again, you will also get a lower score. Quick acceleration could put the vehicle out of control, especially in poor weather conditions.
- Speeding. You won’t be surprised to see this point on the list. Regularly driving over the speed limit is something that will lower your Driving Score when using this app.
If you decide to get started with this app, it might help make you aware of some mistakes that you didn’t even know you were making.
Monitoring Other Drivers on Your Plan
You can’t monitor everyone on your insurance plan over every mile they drive. If you’d like to make sure other drivers on your insurance policy are behaving properly on the road, using DriveAdvisor makes a lot of sense.
The obvious application here is for parents whose children have recently started driving. If you have a child who is now driving and is able to take trips on their own, this app is a great opportunity to see how they are doing with this newfound freedom. Not only can you use the app to control insurance costs, but it can be a valuable safety measure in this form. Monitor how your child is driving and help them improve as they learn to pilot a car on their own.
There are some notable benefits to using the MAPFRE DriveAdvisor app. You can lower your rates by enrolling in this program, and you can learn valuable information about your own driving habits, and the habits of anyone else on your policy. Before you get started with DriveAdvisor, however, you’ll want to stop and consider some potential drawbacks.
- Phone battery life. If your GPS is active throughout an entire trip in your vehicle, that activity could wear down your battery life rather quickly. This isn’t a problem if you tend to plug in your phone while in the car, but it’s something to keep in mind.
- Logistics. MAPFRE makes it pretty easy to use this app, but there is still some legwork required on your end. You’ll need to sign up for the program, download the app, login, and start recording trips. It’s a fairly simple experience overall, but nothing is completely automatic.
- Privacy concerns. This issue will be a factor in the minds of some drivers, and a non-issue for others. If you are concerned about privacy rights, you might not like the idea of sharing your trip details with an insurance company.
MAPFRE DriveAdvisor – The Verdict
Yes, MAPFRE DriveAdvisor can deliver you a discount on your insurance policy if you decide to take part in this program. There are a few potential drawbacks as outlined above, but overall it is a program that is worth your attention. Between the financial savings and what you can learn about your driving habits, DriveAdvisor is something all MAPFRE customers should consider.