Is the Automobile Club of Southern California Good for Auto Insurance?
Last Updated on May 3, 2023
The Automobile Club of Southern California (ACSC) is an affiliate of AAA and is based out of Costa Mesa, CA. Initially opening its doors in 1900, this club offers auto insurance to residents in California only. If you are considering using the auto club for your insurance in the state, it could be a viable option – but it will depend on the coverage you need and your overall budget.
- The Auto Club of Southern California (ACSC) offers auto insurance to California residents only. They have both standard and additional coverage options available.
- ACSC’s insurance policy includes coverage for bodily injury, property damage, uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, collision coverage, comprehensive coverage, medical coverage, and personal injury protection.
- ACSC also provides several add-on policy options, including modified vehicle insurance, travel expenses or interruption coverage, rental car coverage, non-owner liability, GAP and loan coverage, emergency roadside service, and breakdown coverage.
- ACSC offers discounts based on vehicle safety features and annual usage, but their discount options are not as extensive as other leading insurers. Their insurance rates are competitive with other brands, and they have agents available locally for 24/7 phone support and free cancellations.
- Looking at the Coverage Options and How it Compares to Other Leading Insurers
- Does the ACSC Offer all Insurance Required by the State?
- What Add-On Policy Options Does ACSC Offer?
- Are There Any Discounts?
- How Do Their Rates Compare to Other Leaders in the Area?
- Our Rating of the Auto Club of Southern California
Looking at the Coverage Options and How it Compares to Other Leading Insurers
The first step is to review what the Auto Club of Southern California has compared to other leading insurance companies in the state (and nationwide firms too).
Some offerings that ACSC can offer to insurance policyholders are:
- 24/7 Phone Support
- Free Cancellations
- Agents available Locally
- Emergency Roadside Service Add-Ons
- Rental Car Reimbursement
- Policy Discounts
As an auto club, they do not have all the features of other big names in insurance, and this could be a deal-breaker for you if you were hoping to unlock all discounts. Some options not available to you include:
- No digital claim reporting option
- No ridesharing discounts or coverage
- No transportation coverage
- No accident forgiveness plans
Does the ACSC Offer all Insurance Required by the State?
Yes, the Automobile Club of Southern California does offer the standard coverage required by the state, but they also have add-ons that you can use to improve coverage in your policy further.
Here are the basic coverage types they offer:
- Bodily Injury: This coverage handles legal defenses and any costs when there are injuries to others in an accident inside your vehicle.
- Property Damage: This portion of your coverage handles the damage caused to other vehicles and property if you are at fault for the incident.
- Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage: When the party at fault for the accident doesn’t have enough auto insurance to cover – or no insurance at all – this part of your coverage will pick up the costs of your repairs and medical expenses to supplement where the at-fault party’s insurance fails.
- Collision Coverage: Collision is optional but pays for any costs to replace or repair your vehicle if it were damaged in an accident.
- Comprehensive Coverage: This covers damage outside of an ordinary crash, such as weather damage, theft, or vandalism.
- Medical Coverage: If injured in an accident, this portion of your policy would help pay for any medical costs regardless if you or another person caused the incident.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): PIP covers medical costs and a portion of your lost wages while you recover from an accident, but only within reasonable amounts and only up to your policy maximum.
What Add-On Policy Options Does ACSC Offer?
In addition to the above standard options, you have extras that you can add to your policy with the club, including:
- Modified Vehicle Insurance, which covers custom parts and add-ons you make to your vehicle after buying it. Without this coverage, you only receive compensation for the manufacturer-installed and nothing aftermarket.
- Travel Expenses or Interruption coverage, which will refund expenses if your trip is delayed by an accident.
- Rental Car Coverage, which pays for your rental car usage while you wait for your vehicle to be repaired.
- Non-Owner Liability, which covers anyone driving your vehicle that doesn’t own the car – it can also help protect business owners.
- GAP and Loan Coverage, which will pay off any remaining balance post-market value. When you total a vehicle, insurance pays for market value only, which may be less than what you owe. By having GAP and loan coverage, you can then get the remaining balance paid off so you do not have to pay it out-of-pocket.
- Emergency Roadside Service, which can include everything from towing to lockouts, tire replacement, and battery jumpstarts.
- Breakdown Coverage, which will handle mechanical repairs necessary to get your vehicle running, but does not cover routine maintenance.
Are There Any Discounts?
Auto Club of Southern California’s auto insurance program offers an extensive list of discounts. Some discounts you could unlock are:
- Internal Safety Features of the Vehicle: You are rewarded discounts based on safety features pre-installed in the vehicle, including airbags, seatbelts, automatic braking systems, and more. You will need to give the insurance company a full list of safety features on your vehicle to see which discounts apply.
- Lower Annual Usage: The fewer miles you put on your car each year, the more money you will save. If you drive under 15,000 per year, you should qualify for a discount.
- AAA Membership Discount: Enjoy a discount that increases based on your years as an AAA member.
- Paperless Discount: Opt for electronic documents and save on your policy.
- Advanced Purchase Discount: Plan ahead and save money by purchasing your insurance a certain number of days before the coverage starts.
- Pay in Full Discount: Receive a discount by paying your entire premium within seven days of the policy going into effect.
- AutoPay Discount: Get rewarded for enrolling in automatic payment deductions.
- AAA Safety Inspection Discount: Receive a discount if your vehicle has passed an AAA safety inspection.
- AAADrive Discount: Earn a discount by allowing us to track your driving habits through your phone.
- Multiple-Product Discount: Save money when you bundle other AAA products, like home insurance, with your policy.
How Do Their Rates Compare to Other Leaders in the Area?
When looking at the company’s insurance rates in comparison to other brands, including national ones, they are competitive. They also use the same factors as others to determine how much you will pay annually for insurance, such as your driving record, credit history, and age. In California, however, companies cannot base rates on a credit score, so you can still unlock a great price despite poor credit.