Is Encompass Insurance Good?
Last Updated on September 2, 2020
Choosing a car insurance company can be tricky. There are so many options out there, and you’ll want to make sure that the car insurance company you choose can provide you with the best value for your needs. Encompass Insurance is a company you may be considering as you shop for an insurance policy.
Is Encompass Insurance good to use for auto insurance? How do Encompass’s rates compare to other insurance providers? What kind of discounts does Encompass offer its policyholders? Who owns Encompass Insurance? Below, we’re answering every question you may have about Encompass Insurance in our Encompass Insurance review. Here’s everything you need to know about Encompass before you sign up for coverage.
About Encompass Insurance
Encompass is a mid-size insurance company that offers car insurance as well as home and other types of property insurance. Encompass’s operations date back to 1897, although they didn’t use the name “Encompass” until 1999 when they were purchased by Allstate. Before, they simply were known as the personal lines insurance business of CNA Financial.
Today, Encompass Insurance sells a wide-range of insurance products including auto insurance, homeowners insurance, condo insurance, renters insurance, motorcycle insurance, RV insurance, boat insurance, and personal umbrella insurance. Encompass products are sold through independent agents and are currently available in 39 states throughout the US.
States Where Encompass Insurance Is Sold
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington DC, West Virginia, Wisconsin
What Types of Insurance Does Encompass Offer?
Encompass is known for its EncompassOne policy, which combines car and home insurance into one easy-to-manage bundle. They also have standalone car insurance policies available. Both of these options are available in Special, Deluxe, and Elite tiers. Their packages offer the legally required liability insurance as well as other standard coverage types like collision and comprehensive insurance. Encompass also offers a number of other insurance features. These include:
- Accident forgiveness: This feature ensures that your rates don’t go up, even after you’ve been in an accident or filed a claim. Deluxe members get accident forgiveness after their first accident, while Elite members get accident forgiveness for multiple accidents.
- Roadside assistance: If you ever have an emergency while driving, roadside assistance can help. Roadside assistance covers things like towing, jump starts, locksmith services, tire changes, and more.
- New car replacement: Encompass offers complete replacements for new cars that are totaled within the first four years of ownership.
- Lease gap coverage: Since cars depreciate, this will essentially cover the difference between the original and current value of your car if it is totaled and you still need to pay back the loan.
- Electronic device coverage: This covers damage to any electronic equipment in your car, such as stereo systems or GPS.
What Discounts Does Encompass Offer?
Encompass offers a wide range of discounts to help you save money on your car insurance policy. Some of these discounts include:
- Safe driver discounts, which give you a discount for having a good driving record.
- Good student discounts, which allow teens and young adults to save money by getting good grades.
- Discounts for anti-theft devices and other safety devices.
- Discounts for young drivers, including discounts for taking driving courses and discounts for having a child away at college.
- Discounts for owning a home.
- Discount for signing up for your policy more than seven days in advance.
- Discount for taking a defensive driving course.
- Discount for enrolling in automatic payments.
Before finalizing any car insurance policy, it’s always important to ask your insurance agent about discounts. Even small discounts can save you a significant amount of money in the long run.
What Are Encompass’s Rates Like?
For most drivers, Encompass’s rates are slightly higher than average. However, the area where Encompass really stands out is providing coverage for young drivers. Their rates for younger drivers are much more competitive than average, so they could be a great choice for teens and those in their early twenties who want reasonably priced insurance without skimping on coverage.
What Is Encompass’s Customer Service Like?
Encompass gets generally good ratings for its customer service. Their complaint ratio is lower than average, meaning that they get fewer complaints per the number of policyholders that they have. Encompass also receives good ratings from JD Power and Associates, as well as an A+ rating from AM Best. AM Best is an organization that rates the financial strength of insurance companies and financial institutions. A strong rating from AM Best means that you can trust Encompass to consistently pay out their claims, regardless of the current state of the economy.
Encompass also has a reliable website where you can pay your bills and view your policy online. Although Encompass policies are sold through independent agents, you can still handle many aspects of your insurance policy online, without having to go into an office. However, claims still need to be filed over the phone.
Encompass also has an app that is available for both Apple and Android. Through the app, you can request roadside assistance and track the location of your service provider. You can also pay your bill and view your insurance card through the app with a MyEncompass account.
What Are the Advantages of Using Encompass Insurance?
There are many advantages to using Encompass as your car insurance provider. Here’s why you might consider switching to Encompass:
- Encompass gets excellent reviews for its customer service. You can count on Encompass to address issues in a timely manner and help you get the best value for your money. Since Encompass is sold through local insurance agents, you’ll know exactly who to go to if you encounter any problems.
- Encompass makes it easy to bundle your home and auto insurance. They also have unique selling points like unlimited accident forgiveness for elite members – something that’s difficult to find from other companies.
- Encompass offers competitive rates for young drivers in their teens and twenties. It can be difficult for young drivers to find reasonably priced policies, but Encompass provides fair rates as well as great service. They also have several discounts that are aimed at young drivers.
- Encompass is owned by Allstate, which is one of the largest and most trusted insurance companies in the US. This means you can always count on them for financial stability.
What Are the Disadvantages of Using Encompass Insurance?
As with all insurance companies, there are also a few disadvantages to using Encompass Insurance. Here’s what to keep in mind before you sign up:
- Encompass Insurance is only available in 39 states.
- Encompass does not offer rideshare insurance. If you are planning to drive for Uber, Lyft, or another ridesharing company, you’ll need to explore options from other insurers.
- Encompass sells its products in bundles. This makes it difficult to customize your policy. While Encompass has plenty of great features, you may need to pay more to get the features you are looking for.
- Going through an independent insurance agent can be an inconvenient process for some. If you’re looking to manage your policy entirely online, you might be better off with a different provider.
Final Word – Encompass Review
Encompass is a reliable insurance company that could be a great option if you’re looking for both home and car insurance. Encompass isn’t available in all 50 states, but if you live in one of the 39 states Encompass is sold, they can offer quality coverage at an affordable price. Encompass had fewer than average complaints to state insurance regulators and generally gets good reviews from consumer rating agencies.
While Encompass might not offer the cheapest rates in the country, they justify their higher rates with quality customer service and outstanding coverage options. Encompass specializing in bundling and can be attractive to customers looking to insure multiple insurance products under one easy-to-manage policy.
As always, when shopping for insurance, be sure to get quotes from multiple providers to see who can provide you with the best coverage. Compare Encompass’s coverage and rates against other leading insurance providers to find your best option.
|Encompass Insurance Contact Information|
|Corporate HQ Address||2775 Sanders Road
Northbrook, IL 60062
|Website Contact Form||https://www.encompassinsurance.com/contactus.aspx|