Like most car insurance companies, Allstate offers several discounts to try to be competitive in the market. Like many car insurance companies, not all of these discounts are well advertised. In most cases, you must ask for the discount. It is a good idea to talk to an Allstate agent rather than simply getting a quote online. You may get better results. Here are some of the most common discounts that Allstate offers.
You can get some discounts from Allstate just based on the vehicle that you are insuring. They offer a 15 percent discount if your car is brand new and you are the first person to own it. You also get a discount if you drive what is considered an economy car. They also offer a discount for safety features such as anti-lock brakes, airbags and mechanical seatbelts, and anti-theft measures or alarm systems. If your vehicle has any of these features make sure you mention it to the Allstate agent when you call for a quote.
Discounts for Good Drivers
Like most car insurance companies, Allstate offers discounts for good drivers. These discounts are based on your driving record as well as how many accidents or claims you have had in the past. These discounts are dependent on you maintaining a pristine driving record. If you qualify for these discounts at the start of your policy but then have an accident or get a traffic ticket, you will likely lose the discount resulting in a hike in your car insurance premiums.
Some of the discounts available for good drivers include:
- Defensive driver discount: In some states, you can get a discount for taking a defensive driving course.
- Safe Driver Discounts: You can save up to 45 percent if you have a clean driving record. A clean record of three years earns you a Premium account discount, while a clean driving record for five years earns you a Premium Plus account discount.
If you have a clean driving record you will get the best rates from Allstate. They take good drivers very seriously and want to reward you for your safe driving practices.
Discounts for Young People
There are some discounts that are available to young people with Allstate. If you have children on your car insurance policy you could save quite a bit through these discounts. They are fairly easy to get as long as your child is a good student and maintains a clean driving record.
- Teen Smart Program: If your teen completes a Teen Smart Program, which is similar to driver’s education courses, you will be able to get a discount on your policy when you add the teen to your car insurance.
- Resident Student Discount: If you have a child in college who is attending school within 100 miles of your home, you can get a discount on your car insurance.
- Good Student Discount: Any teen or young adult driver age 25 or younger can get a discount for having good grades.
Car insurance is particularly expensive for young people, so these discounts make Allstate a preferred provider for car insurance for families with teens or young adults. If you are a single young adult you can also take advantage of many of these discounts. For example, the teen smart program is available up to age 21.
There are some other discounts that are available with Allstate. Some of these discounts you will see with other car insurance companies, while others are unique to Allstate. These discounts are not greatly advertised, so it is important to ask your agent what discounts you may qualify for.
- Retiree Discount: If you are age 55 or older and retired you can save 10 percent on your car insurance with Allstate.
- Early Signing Discount: If you switch policies to Allstate before your current policy term is up, you can get a 10 percent discount on your first policy term.
- EZ Pay: If you set up automatic payments of your premiums you can save 5 percent on your car insurance with Allstate.
- eSmart Account: You can save an additional 10 percent on your car insurance if you sign up for paperless billing an auto payments.
- Good Payer Discount: If you pay all of your premiums on time during your first policy term you will get a 5 percent discount when you renew.
- Multi-policy discount: Allstate also offers homeowner’s and renter’s insurance. If you get one of these policies in addition to car insurance you could save an additional 10 percent.
When you get a quote online, these discounts may not be applied right away. It is a good idea to get several car insurance quotes before deciding on a car insurance company. You will get the most answers about what discounts you qualify for if you speak to an Allstate agent.