Is Grange Good for Auto Insurance?
Last Updated on May 9, 2023
Grange is one of the many regional auto insurance providers you can choose from in the United States. They primarily service the midwest and southeastern portions of the US, and they’re known for their excellent customer service. In this article, we’ll review Grange’s auto insurance offerings, so you can decide if it’s the right fit for you.
- Grange offers standard auto insurance coverage and additional add-ons for customization, including liability insurance, comprehensive and collision insurance, personal injury protection insurance, and underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage.
- Grange offers various discounts, including those for accident-free driving, bundling insurance policies, and paying the total premium in full.
- Grange is known for its exceptional customer service and straightforward claim filing process.
- Grange has a positive reputation with BBB and an excellent financial strength rating from AM Best. However, it is more expensive than some of its competitors.
- Insurance Panda rates Grange 3.9/5
- What Types of Auto Insurance Does Grange Offer?
- Does Grange Offer Any Discounts?
- What Are the Pros of Grange?
- What Are the Cons of Grange?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Our Rating of Grange
- Grange Contact Info
What Types of Auto Insurance Does Grange Offer?
Grange offers the standard auto insurance products you would expect from an insurer in the United States. They also offer add-ons and other features that you can use to customize your insurance policy.
They offer liability insurance, which is required by law in most states. Liability insurance covers your financial responsibility to any third parties involved in the accident. You can also add comprehensive, collision, and personal injury protection insurance. These types of insurance will cover your own costs in an accident. While they are not required, they are beneficial to have. Collision and comprehensive insurance cover damage to your car, while personal injury protection covers your medical costs.
Another popular type of insurance they offer is underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage. This ensures that you will still receive financial support if you get hit by someone who doesn’t have enough insurance to cover the damages.
There is a wide range of add-ons that you can use to extend your car insurance coverage with Grange. For example, they also offer roadside assistance, which covers the cost of a tow truck if you break down on the road. You can also add identity theft coverage to your policy, which many car insurance companies don’t offer. However, this can be very helpful, as identity theft can leave you without access to the finances you need to pay your bills.
Grange also offers glass repair coverage that you can use as an alternative to comprehensive insurance. It’s much more affordable and will cover the cost of repairing your windshield and windows if damaged. You can also opt for pet coverage, which will cover veterinary treatment if your animal is injured in a car accident, and mobile device protection, which will cover the cost of mobile repairs or replacement if damaged in the crash.
These are just a few additional coverage options that Grange offers to make your coverage more comprehensive and personal. Your insurance agent can educate you about all the different riders they offer to ensure you get the coverage you need.
Does Grange Offer Any Discounts?
Grange does offer some standard discounts to their customers. One of their most significant discounts is for drivers who go accident-free for a certain period, usually three years or more. Grange also offers discounts for taking defensive driving classes. These discounts encourage drivers to practice safe behaviors. They also offer discounts for drivers who pay their entire premium in full instead of in monthly installments or those who bundle their insurance together and purchase home, life, or business insurance with Grange. Finally, Grange offers various other discounts, including discounts for driving a hybrid vehicle and being a good student. Ask your insurance agent if you qualify for one of the many discounts Grange offers.
- OnTrack Safe Driving App: You can save up to 25% on your auto insurance if you participate in the OnTrack car insurance program, which tracks your driving habits and gives you feedback.
- Multi-policy: Bundling your auto with a home, condo, or renters’ policy can save you money.
- Prompt payer: Paying your total premium before the due date earns you money off your policy.
- New car replacement: If your car is a total loss due to a covered accident, this coverage will pay to replace it.
- Safety technology: Get a discount if your vehicle is equipped with Automatic Emergency Braking and/or Blind Spot Warning technology.
- Paid in full: Get a discount when your policy premium is paid in full.
- Advance quote: Save on your policy when your agent quotes before the effective date.
- New beginnings: If you get divorced, you can get this discount.
- Good student: Earn a discount based on education information provided about a student on your policy.
- Away at school: Receive a discount if a child on your auto policy is away at school.
- Legacy loyalty: New policyholders who leave their parent or guardian’s Grange auto policy for their own Grange policy can receive this discount.
What Are the Pros of Grange?
The biggest advantage of getting your auto insurance through Grange is that they offer incredible customer service. Since they are a regional company, you can work with locally-based insurance agents to find the policy that makes the most sense for your needs. They only sell their policies through independent agents, who tend to be less biased and prioritize your needs.
Grange has an excellent claim filing process. You can file a claim in person at one of their claims centers, by calling their claims line, or by using their online portal. The process is very straightforward, and contacting an agent is easy. While other companies might have you go through a phone menu and put you on hold, this is unlikely to happen with Grange.
Grange has a positive ‘A-‘ financial rating from AM Best. While their score isn’t relatively as high as other insurance companies, they are still trustworthy and reliable.
With an A+ grade from the BBB and a 4.35 out of 5.0 customer rating, Grange Insurance is a BBB-accredited business that has resolved 69 complaints in the past three years.
- Has a good customer service reputation, reflected in its Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating
- Has a strong financial strength rating of A- from AM Best
- Offers several types of insurance, including auto, home, life, business, and farm
- Has unique coverage options and discounts, such as new car replacement, mobile device coverage, and OnTrack telematics app
What Are the Cons of Grange?
The most significant disadvantage of Grange is that it is slightly more expensive than most other insurance companies. However, their premiums are not too much higher than average, and you are getting far better customer service than you would with different insurance companies. The other disadvantage of Grange is that they are not available in all 50 states. If you move to a state where Grange isn’t available, you may have to change insurance providers.
Additionally, Grange’s private passenger (personal auto) score from the NAIC’s complaint index is 1.18. This means it has a bit more complaints than the average of 1.00. This could suggest that Grange’s auto insurance service is decent but not excellent.
- Available only in 13 states: Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and Wisconsin
- Few third-party ratings from sources like J.D. Power or Consumer Reports
- Has higher-than-average complaints, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) complaint index
- Requires you to work with a local agent for quotes and claim
Frequently Asked Questions
Grange Contact Info
Address: Grange Insurance, 671 South High Street, Columbus, OH 43206
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM ET for customer care
Email address: You can send an email message to Grange through their online form
Website address: https://www.grangeinsurance.com/
NAIC number: 14060 for Grange Mutual Casualty Company