Is Germania Good for Auto Insurance?
Last Updated on May 7, 2023
Germania Insurance is a Texas insurance company founded in 1896.
Backed by 125+ years of experience, Germania Insurance provides a range of auto, property, business, and life insurance products across the state. The company is based in Brenham, Texas.
Is Germania a good insurance company? How does Germania’s auto insurance work? Keep reading to discover everything you need to know about Germania and the company’s auto insurance products and services.
- Germania Insurance is a Texas-based insurance company founded in 1896 that provides auto, property, business, and life insurance products across the state.
- Germania Insurance offers auto insurance to meet minimum requirements in Texas or exceed those requirements through full coverage auto insurance, roadside assistance coverage, and other unique coverage options.
- Germania Insurance also offers property, liability, business, and life insurance to customers throughout Texas.
- Germania Insurance’s unique features include 125+ years of experience in Texas, roadside assistance, flexible payment options, and personalized customer service.
- Insurance Panda rates Germania 3.9/5
- What Is Germania Insurance?
- Germania Insurance Products & Services
- How Does Germania Auto Insurance Work?
- What Makes Germania Auto Insurance Unique?
- Germania Auto Insurance Discounts
- Pros and Cons of Germania
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Germania Insurance Reviews & Ratings: What Do Customers Have to Say?
- Our Rating of Germania Insurance
- Final Word on Germania
What Is Germania Insurance?
Germania Insurance is a Brenham, Texas-based insurance company that aims to provide quality insurance at a reasonable price. The company describes itself as the “Insurance Texans Trust.”
Germania Insurance was founded in 1896 in Perry, Texas, as the Germania Mutual Aid Association. Otto Rau, a respected business owner and banker with German heritage, led the company. In the early days, Germania Insurance aimed to protect rural farm properties against storm, fire, and lightning losses.
In 1960, the Germania Mutual Aid Association changed its name to the Germania Farm Mutual Aid Association. Then, in 1982, the company changed its name again to the Germania Farm Mutual Insurance Association (GFMIA).
Today, GFMIA is the largest farm mutual in Texas, and the company has over 200,000 members (policyholders) across the state. Today, Germania employs more than 450 employees at its corporate officer and local offices.
Germania Insurance recently celebrated its 125th anniversary. The company aims to continue being the insurance company Texans trust to provide effective and affordable insurance for all different needs. Germania has been headquartered in Brenham, Texas, since 1898.
|Germania Insurance Contact Info|
|Address||507 Hwy 290 East
Brenham, Texas 77833
|Phone Number||877-GERMANIA (877-437-6264)|
Germania Insurance Products & Services
Germania offers four main types of insurance products and services, including auto insurance, property and liability insurance, business insurance, and life insurance.
Here’s how each Germania insurance product and service works:
Auto Insurance: Germania offers auto insurance to customers throughout Texas. Germania’s auto insurance can meet minimum requirements in Texas. Or, it can exceed those requirements through full coverage auto insurance. Germania offers personal auto insurance, recreational vehicle (RV) insurance, roadside assistance coverage, and other options.
Property & Liability Insurance: Germania offers property and liability insurance to homeowners, rural property owners, boaters, and renters throughout Texas. You can also buy condo and townhouse insurance, tenant-occupied property insurance, and other unique coverage options. Meanwhile, for liability insurance, Germania offers umbrella insurance, personal liability insurance, farm insurance, and farm umbrella liability insurance.
Business Insurance: Germania offers multiple types of business insurance, including business auto insurance, general liability insurance, business owner insurance, worker’s compensation insurance, flood insurance for businesses, management and professional insurance, business property insurance, data breach insurance for businesses, home-based business insurance, and church and organization insurance, among other business insurance options.
Life Insurance: Germania offers multiple life insurance policies, including whole life insurance, term life insurance, and decreasing term life insurance.
How Does Germania Auto Insurance Work?
Germania offers auto insurance to drivers and businesses across the state of Texas. You can buy minimum liability insurance, full coverage car insurance, roadside assistance coverage, and other unique coverage options through Germania.
Available auto insurance coverages with Germania include:
Auto Liability Insurance: Germania offers personal auto liability insurance to meet or exceed minimum requirements in Texas. Texas, like most states, requires drivers to have a certain minimum amount of bodily injury and property damage liability coverage. You can buy Germania insurance to meet or exceed these limits.
Collision Coverage: Collision coverage is optional in Texas and all other states. It protects your own vehicle from damages caused during a collision, regardless of fault. If you collide with another vehicle and have $5,000 worth of damage, Germania’s collision coverage should cover repairing your vehicle to pre-accident condition.
Comprehensive Coverage: Also optional in Texas and all other states, comprehensive coverage covers theft, vandalism, and other damages outside of accidents with other drivers. Germania also refers to this coverage as other than collision (OTC) coverage.
Roadside Assistance Coverage: Germania’s roadside assistance coverage protects you when driving within the state or outside of it. You get covered for fuel delivery, flat tire changes, towing, and other unexpected costs, up to a certain limit. The coverage extends to the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico.
Medical Coverage: Germania offers medical payments coverage and personal injury protection (PIP) coverage to drivers across the state. These coverages can cover certain medical bills and ambulance expenses after an accident.
Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Coverage: Thousands of drivers in Texas do not carry insurance. Thousands more carry too little insurance. Germania offers uninsured motorist coverage for added protection and peace of mind. Germania’s uninsured motorist coverage covers the medical costs of your bodily injuries up to your policy limit when an uninsured at-fault driver causes those damages.
What Makes Germania Auto Insurance Unique?
Texans have plenty of options for car insurance. Why pick Germania Insurance?
Here are some of the features that make Germania Insurance unique:
125+ Years of Experience in Texas: Germania has been serving the state of Texas since 1896. The company is backed by 125 years of experience in the Lone Star State. As Germania’s official website explains, “No one knows Texas insurance laws better than Germania.”
Roadside Assistance: Germania offers a roadside assistance program with 24-hour emergency towing service, road service, emergency delivery, emergency battery service, and lockout service. Most of these coverages are available throughout the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico.
Largest Farm Mutual in Texas: Germania Insurance covers 200,000 policyholders across Texas, making the company the largest farm mutual in the state.
Germania Auto Insurance Discounts
Germania offers a range of auto insurance discounts to lower the cost of your policy. Available auto insurance discounts include:
Paid in Full Discount: Germania gives you 12% savings if your premiums are paid in full by the effective date of the policy.
Multi-Car Discount: If you have multiple cars insured on a single Germania policy, then you can get a discount across all vehicles on the policy.
Companion Policy Discount: Germania offers a bundling discount called the ‘companion policy discount.’ You get 15% savings on liability, personal injury protection (PIP), medical payments coverage, other than collision (OTC) coverage, and collision coverage when you insure a property with Germania. You or an immediate family member needs to be the primary owner of the dwelling to qualify, and you must also have your personal liability or farm liability policy with Germania.
Mature Driver Discount: Germania offers a mature driver discount to drivers over 50. You get a 10% discount on liability, PIP or medical payments coverage, OTC coverage, or collision coverage if you are the principal operator of a vehicle and are over age 50.
Academic Achievement Discount: Germania offers an academic achievement discount to qualifying drivers with good grades. You save up to 15% on auto insurance if you are a full-time student under age 25 who is meeting certain academic standards (typically a B+ or better). The discount is also available to graduates under age 25 who met specific academic standards when attending school.
Defensive Driving Discount: If you have recently completed a state-approved defensive driver training course, you can get a 10% discount on car insurance.
Driver Training Discount: Germania gives you a 10% discount on car insurance if you are a male driver under 25 or an unmarried female driver under age 21 who has recently completed a driver education course.
Passive Restraint Discount: Does your vehicle have factory-installed airbags or a passive restraint system? Germania will give you a discount of up to 30% on personal injury protection (PIP) or medical payments coverage.
Anti-Theft Discount: Vehicles equipped with one or more qualifying anti-theft devices could save 5% on other than collision (OTC) coverage.
New Vehicle Discount: Save 10% on car insurance when the model year of your vehicle is within three years of the current calendar year.
Pros and Cons of Germania
- Customizable policies: Germania Insurance allows customers to customize their policies to fit their unique needs, so you only pay for the coverage you need. Germania Insurance offers a range of insurance products for auto, home, life, and business needs in Texas.
- Discounts: Germania Insurance offers several discounts to help customers save money, including discounts for drivers who pay in full, bundle policies, have good grades, complete driver training courses, and have specific safety and anti-theft features on their vehicles.
- Lower than average rates: Germania offers some of the lowest auto insurance premiums in Texas.
- Strong financial rating: Germania Insurance has a strong (A- AM Best) financial rating, indicating that it is financially stable and capable of paying claims. It also has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
- Local agents: Germania Insurance has a network of local agents who can provide personalized service and support.
- Well respected in Texas: Germania Insurance has a long history of serving the state of Texas since 1896 and supporting local farmers and communities.
- Limited availability: Germania Insurance is only available in Texas, so you won’t be able to use their services if you don’t live in Texas.
- Limited coverage options: While Germania Insurance offers customizable policies, the coverage options may not be as extensive as other insurance providers. Germania Insurance is also only available in Texas and does not offer coverage in other states.
- Customer service: Some customers have reported poor customer service experiences with Germania Insurance, including difficulty reaching agents and slow claims processing.
- High Complaints: Germania Insurance has a high number of customer complaints compared to the average insurance company, according to its NAIC rating.
- Membership Fee: Germania insurance requires membership to buy auto insurance and charges a $35 annual fee.
Frequently Asked Questions
Germania Insurance Reviews & Ratings: What Do Customers Have to Say?
Germania has good reviews online. Most customers agree that Germania works as advertised to provide effective car insurance at a reasonable rate across Texas.
Review aggregator website Clearsurance has a 4.11 star out of 5 rating for Germania Insurance. Reviewers have left particularly strong ratings for the company’s auto insurance, awarding an average rating of 4.16 stars out of 5 (compared to 3.84 stars out of 5 for homeowners insurance).
WalletHub, meanwhile, also aggregates reviews from across the internet. WalletHub has an average score of 2.5 stars out of 5 based on 40+ Germania reviews. Many customers have had a good experience with Germania. However, some customers complain about customer service issues and claims problems – similar to reviews you can find online for any car insurance company.
On the Better Business Bureau, Germania has an A+ rating. The company has just two complaints closed in the last three years.
A.M. Best, which tracks the financial stability of insurance companies, has awarded Germania Insurance an A- (Excellent) rating. An A- (Excellent) rating is still considered good, and it indicates Germania should have no trouble covering its liabilities in the near future.
Final Word on Germania
Germania is a Texas insurance company backed by 125+ years of industry experience. The company offers a range of auto, life, home, and farm insurance products to customers across the state.
To learn more about Germania or to request a car insurance quote today, visit the company online at GermaniaInsurance.com.