Will GEICO Help Me If I Lock My Keys In My Car?
Last Updated on September 17, 2023
Yes, GEICO may help you if you lock your keys in your car.
If you have GEICO car insurance, you can access GEICO’s 24/7 emergency roadside assistance service for immediate assistance. GEICO provides roadside assistance for as little as $14 per year per car.
Keep reading to find out everything you need to know about how GEICO helps you if you lock your keys in your car.
- GEICO’s 24/7 Emergency Roadside Assistance: GEICO offers 24/7 emergency roadside assistance service, including vehicle lockout services. Subscribers can use the GEICO mobile app to request assistance, track service provider locations, and more. This service costs as low as $14 per year per vehicle.
- Range of Services Under Roadside Assistance: Alongside vehicle lockout services, GEICO’s roadside assistance covers a variety of emergencies, including towing, battery jumpstarts, tire changes, winching, and fuel delivery. Even without roadside assistance, GEICO may offer discounted services to its policyholders.
- Alternative Ways to Unlock Your Vehicle: If a policyholder does not have GEICO’s roadside assistance, several other options exist to unlock the vehicle. These include using roadside assistance from phone carriers, credit cards, or third-party providers, contacting a local locksmith directly, or using remote unlock services through the car dealership.
GEICO Offers 24/7 Emergency Roadside Service for Vehicle Lockouts
You must subscribe to GEICO’s roadside assistance to request help. Priced as low as $14 per year, GEICO’s roadside assistance covers vehicle lockouts and other roadside emergencies.
However, even if you’re not a subscriber or are not sure you’re covered, it may be worth calling GEICO. GEICO may be able to provide service at a discount rate. Or, you may be able to add roadside assistance to your policy.
Alternatively, you can recover your spare key yourself, contact a locksmith service directly, or request roadside assistance through your phone carrier, credit card, or third party.
You can request roadside assistance using the GEICO mobile app. You can use the GEICO mobile app to:
- Request help in as little as 2 minutes
- Unlock a vehicle any time of day or night, 24/7/365
- Use your phone’s GPS location to help GEICO find your
- Monitor the service provider’s location to verify help is on the way
Alternatively, you can text ROADSIDE to 43426 (GEICO) to receive a link to download the app.
What Does GEICO’s Roadside Assistance Cover?
GEICO’s roadside assistance covers a standard range of roadside emergencies – from vehicle lockouts to battery jumpstarts.
Here’s what GEICO covers via roadside assistance:
- Towing to the nearest repair facility
- Battery jumpstarts
- Tire changes (assuming you have a functional spare tire)
- Vehicle lockout services (up to $100) if you lock your keys in your vehicle
- Winching your vehicle
- Fuel delivery
GEICO’s roadside assistance is priced as low as $14 per year per car. If you make only one service call per year (or even one every two or three years), then coverage can quickly pay for itself.
What Happens If I Don’t Have Roadside Assistance with GEICO?
If you don’t have roadside assistance with GEICO but are still a GEICO policyholder, you may still want to call GEICO to ask for help.
GEICO may be able to provide service at a discount rate. Or, they may be able to add roadside assistance to your policy. In some cases, GEICO negotiates a discount with emergency service providers in your area, and you can pay a significantly lower price to unlock a vehicle than you would normally pay on the market.
Alternatively, if you don’t want to work through GEICO, you can call a local service provider directly. Look for locksmiths in your area, then contact one. Most will provide a rough estimate upfront. Depending on the situation, you may want to choose the cheapest locksmith or the fastest one.
Contact GEICO to explore your options for roadside assistance and vehicle unlocking services.
Other Ways to Unlock Your Vehicle
Even if you don’t have roadside assistance with GEICO, you may have roadside assistance through your credit card, phone carrier, and other services. Many VISA cardholders are surprised to discover they can pay fixed rates as low as $75 per service call for vehicle jumpstart services, for example.
Check if you have roadside assistance through other services, including:
- Call a friend or family member to recover your spare key, or use a rideshare to travel home to your spare key yourself
- Contact your phone carrier’s roadside assistance hotline
- Contact your AAA or other third-party provider’s roadside assistance hotline
- Contact your credit card’s roadside assistance hotline for discount vehicle unlock rates
- Contact your car dealership for roadside assistance via warranty coverage
- Contact your car dealership for remote unlock services (via OnStar or a similar system)
For example, if your car is still under warranty, you may have roadside assistance included in your warranty. Alternatively, you can contact your dealer to ask about remote unlock services – especially if you have a GM vehicle with OnStar. You provide a PIN to your dealership, and your dealership may be able to unlock your vehicle remotely.
How Much Does It Cost to Unlock My Vehicle?
Depending on your coverage, you could pay anywhere from $0 to hundreds of dollars to unlock your vehicle as a GEICO policyholder.
Here’s how much you can expect to pay, depending on your coverage:
Pay Nothing with GEICO’s Roadside Assistance Coverage: If you have already signed up for GEICO’s roadside assistance coverage, which costs around $14 per year per vehicle, then you could pay nothing for your vehicle lockout service. GEICO covers vehicle lockout services up to $100. If your vehicle lockout is under $100, you’ll pay nothing – not even a deductible.
Pay a Discount Rate Even Without GEICO’s Roadside Assistance Coverage: In some cases, GEICO can negotiate reduced rates with service providers in your area. Although not available to all policyholders, you could pay lower prices than you normally pay on the market through this system. Even if you don’t have roadside assistance with GEICO, it may be worth contacting GEICO to ask about service options.
Pay Full Price by Contacting Service Providers Directly: Finally, you could contact service providers in your area yourself. For example, you could call a local locksmith and avoid GEICO entirely. You’ll pay the full, normal, market price for the locksmith service. If you haven’t previously signed up for roadside assistance with GEICO and don’t have roadside assistance through any other methods, this may be your best option.
GEICO will help you if you unlock your car, assuming you have roadside assistance with GEICO. GEICO provides roadside assistance for as low as $14 per year per vehicle.
If you don’t have roadside assistance with GEICO, then it may still be worth contacting GEICO for assistance. Alternatively, you can contact a local locksmith yourself, call your dealership, recover your spare key, or check for roadside assistance via your credit card or phone carrier.