Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over 60
Last Updated on August 6, 2020
Conventional wisdom tells us that car insurance rates are lowest for drivers in their 50s. As you get into your 60s, however, car insurance rates might start to rise. Today, we’re explaining everything you need to know about getting car insurance when you’re over 60. Keep reading to discover tips, tricks, and practical wisdom when getting car insurance quotes for drivers over 60.
Car Insurance and Age: Why Do Drivers Over 60 Pay More?
Car insurance companies use millions of statistical records to calculate their rates. These statistics show that younger and older drivers are more likely to file a claim than drivers in their 30s, 40s, and 50s.
Drivers in their 30s, 40s, and 50s pay the lowest rates for car insurance because they’re in the “sweet spot” for insurance companies. They have sufficient experience to drive safely on the road, but they’re not old enough to start experiencing physical problems – like vision or hearing loss.
As you approach your 60s, however, things start to change. Statistically speaking, drivers in their 60s are more likely to file a claim than drivers in their 50s. That’s why drivers in their 60s will pay more.
As you get into your mid to late-60s, you may notice insurance premiums start to slightly rise – even if you’ve maintained a clean driving record.
Fortunately, there are steps you can take to ensure you pay less for car insurance into your 60s and 70s. Just because you’re getting older doesn’t mean you have to settle for expensive car insurance!
How to Lower Car Insurance Quote Costs When Over 60
So you’re over 60 and want to pay less for car insurance. That’s okay! There are a number of different strategies you can use to pay lower rates for car insurance without sacrificing coverage:
- Downsize to a smaller, less expensive vehicle. Bigger, boxier SUVs tend to cost more, but they can also do more damage on the road, leading to higher insurance prices. Expensive luxury vehicles are much costlier to insure than cheaper, standard vehicles. Consider downsizing to a smaller, less expensive vehicle.
- Shop around for car insurance quotes. Some car insurance companies specialize in providing cheap quotes to drivers over 60. Other insurance companies are relatively harsh towards older drivers. By shopping around, you can find the ideal insurance company for your demographic.
- Ask about a low mileage discount. Drivers over 60 may be retired or working fewer hours. In this case, you may be eligible for a low mileage discount. Insurance companies provide discounts to drivers who spend less time on the road. If you drive outside of peak rush hour, or if you drive fewer than 10,000 miles per year, then you may qualify for lower insurance prices.
- Keep your vehicle secure. Some insurance companies provide discounts when parking your car in a locked garage. Others provide discounts when using anti-theft devices like steering wheel locks. Talk to your insurance company about any available discounts.
- Look for car insurance companies that favor older drivers. Companies like AARP are known for their senior discounts, for example, and some insurance companies welcome the business of older, claim-free, experienced drivers.
Build Up a No Claims Discount
The insurance company’s ideal customer is a driver who pays for his policy regularly and never makes a claim. That’s why they provide no-claims discounts to drivers. If you go a certain length of time – like 1 or 2 years – without making a claim, then you’ll get a discount on your car insurance.
This discount can be called a good driver discount. Typically, it builds up over time. You might get 5% lower car insurance prices when going 3 years without making a claim, for example, and then a 5% discount each year afterward to a maximum of 20%.
Building up a good discount in your 60s can be very beneficial. That’s why you should avoid making a claim whenever it makes financial sense to do so. You might repair your own scratch, for example, or pay out of pocket to repair a fender bender. Every time you make a claim, your discount will reset.
Conclusion: Get Car Insurance Quotes Online Today for Drivers Over 60
Getting a car insurance quote online today is simple. Just enter your ZIP code into the form at the top of this page. Within seconds, you’ll be viewing a minimum of 10 car insurance quotes from companies serving your area.
Unfortunately for older drivers, seniors will pay higher rates for car insurance because statistics show they’re a higher risk on the road. Drivers in their 60s are statistically more likely to make a claim than drivers in their 40s or 50s.
The good news is that there are still plenty of ways to save money on car insurance in your 60s. Just because you’re getting older doesn’t mean you have to settle for expensive car insurance. Compare quotes today – you might end up paying less for car insurance in your 60s than you did in your 50s!