Will Progressive Help Me If I Lock My Keys in My Car?
Last Updated on October 26, 2023
Progressive will help if you lock your keys in your car – assuming you have roadside assistance.
Like most insurers, Progressive offers roadside assistance to policyholders at a discount rate. You pay around $10 to $50 per year per vehicle to add roadside assistance to your policy. Then, Progressive provides roadside assistance – including roadside locksmith services – at no extra cost.
Keep reading to find out everything you need to know about how Progressive helps when you lock your keys in your car.
- Progressive offers locksmith services as part of its roadside assistance program, and if enrolled, you can get your vehicle unlocked at no additional charge.
- The cost to add Progressive’s roadside assistance to a policy typically ranges from $10 to $50 per year per vehicle.
- If you haven’t added Progressive’s roadside assistance to your policy, other options include using roadside services offered by credit cards or phone carriers or by directly contacting a local locksmith.
- Yes, Progressive Provides Locksmith Services Via Roadside Assistance
- What Does Progressive’s Roadside Assistance Cover?
- How Much Does Progressive’s Roadside Assistance Cost?
- Other Options for Unlocking a Vehicle
- How Does Progressive’s Roadside Assistance Work?
- How Much Does It Cost to Unlock a Vehicle?
- Final Word
Yes, Progressive Provides Locksmith Services Via Roadside Assistance
Progressive offers roadside assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week across the United States and Canada.
If you locked your keys in your vehicle and are a member of Progressive’s roadside assistance program, then you can request a locksmith at your location.
Progressive will dispatch a locksmith to your location. That locksmith will unlock your vehicle at no extra charge to you.
Typically, Progressive’s roadside assistance covers three to five complimentary incidents per year. It costs around $10 to $50 per vehicle to add Progressive’s roadside assistance to your policy.
If you have not already added Progressive’s roadside assistance to your policy, then you cannot access Progressive’s vehicle unlock services. However, you have other options – like calling a locksmith yourself, calling a friend, or accessing roadside assistance through your credit card or phone carrier, among other options.
What Does Progressive’s Roadside Assistance Cover?
Progressive partners with Agero, one of America’s largest roadside assistance companies, to provide roadside assistance across the country.
Agero and Progressive cover a standard range of roadside emergencies via their roadside assistance coverage, including:
- Vehicle towing anywhere within a 15-mile radius
- Winching services (if you’re stuck in mud, snow, water, or sand within 100 feet of a road)
- Battery jumpstarts
- Fuel delivery
- Battery charges for electric vehicles
- Flat tire changes
- Locksmith services
- On-scene labor (up to one hour)
How Much Does Progressive’s Roadside Assistance Cost?
Progressive typically charges $10 to $50 per year, per vehicle for roadside assistance.
If you’re already a Progressive member, then it’s easy and affordable to add roadside assistance to your policy. For most drivers, it’s a cheaper option than working with a third party roadside assistance provider.
Contact Progressive to see how much it costs to add roadside assistance to your policy. Most drivers pay around $2 to $4 per month, per vehicle. If you experience a roadside emergency once every few years, then coverage pays for itself.
Other Options for Unlocking a Vehicle
So you’ve locked your keys in your car but don’t have roadside assistance with Progressive. What next?
Even if you don’t have roadside assistance with Progressive, there are other ways to unlock your vehicle at a discounted rate.
Here are some of the other options for unlocking your vehicle:
- All Visa credit cards come with pay-per-use roadside assistance at a discount rate. You pay $75 to $125 per incident, and Visa dispatches a tow truck driver, locksmith, or other technician to your location. Anyone with a Visa credit card can access this service.
- Other credit cards come with complimentary roadside assistance, which means you pay $0 for a vehicle locksmith to arrive at your location.
- Some phone carriers offer roadside assistance. Check your carrier to see if you have automatic or added roadside assistance.
- Contact a local locksmith yourself. A locksmith can arrive at your location to unlock your vehicle and then charge a pay-per-use fee.
- Contact a friend or family member to pick up a spare key at your house.
- Call your dealership for a replacement key.
How Does Progressive’s Roadside Assistance Work?
Progressive offers roadside assistance through Agero, a US-based roadside assistance company covering 80 million drivers nationwide.
When you contact Progressive’s roadside assistance, you’ll speak with an Agero customer service representative who can dispatch roadside assistance to your location.
Progressive offers two types of roadside assistance plans:
- Standard roadside assistance with complimentary coverage for towing, winching, battery jumpstarts, flat tire changes, vehicle lockouts, and other roadside emergencies.
- Roadside assistance with trip interruption coverage with added coverage for lodging, food, travel expenses, and other costs if your vehicle breaks down far from home.
How Much Does It Cost to Unlock a Vehicle?
If you have roadside assistance with Progressive, you’ll pay nothing to unlock a vehicle. Vehicle unlock services are a complimentary part of all roadside assistance plans.
If you do not have roadside assistance with Progressive, your credit card, your phone carrier, or anyone else, then you’ll pay $80 to $250 per incident. The average locksmith charges around $125 to $200 to unlock a vehicle.
Progressive, like most insurers, will unlock your vehicle if you have previously signed up for Progressive’s roadside assistance plan.
If you have previously added roadside assistance to your Progressive policy, then Progressive can dispatch a locksmith to your location 24/7, anywhere in the United States or Canada, to unlock your vehicle at no extra charge.
If you do not have roadside assistance with Progressive, then Progressive will not unlock your vehicle. However, you can contact a locksmith or access roadside assistance through your credit card, phone carrier, or other methods.
Contact Progressive to see how much it would cost to add roadside assistance to your car insurance policy.