Is Fremont Good for Auto Insurance?
Last Updated on May 5, 2023
Founded in 1876, Fremont Insurance is one of America’s oldest insurance companies.
Today, Fremont Insurance continues using its network of independent agents to serve customers throughout Michigan. Fremont exclusively sells car insurance in Michigan.
Fremont, appropriately, is based in Fremont, Michigan. The company sells a full suite of insurance products, including homeowners insurance, auto insurance, and additional insurance products for RVs, motorcycles, boats, and other vehicles.
If you have recently compared car insurance quotes in Michigan, you may have stumbled upon Fremont Insurance. Is Fremont good for car insurance? Or are there better providers in the Wolverine State? Keep reading our Fremont insurance review to find out.
- Fremont Insurance is one of the oldest insurance companies in the US. It was founded in 1876 and operates in Michigan.
- Fremont provides car insurance with basic liability, collision coverage, and comprehensive coverage and offers a range of car insurance discounts.
- Fremont offers other insurance products for boats, RVs, farms, commercial autos, identity theft, and cyber-liability.
- Fremont has an “A” rating from A.M. Best for its financial strength, and customers generally have a positive experience with the company, as per customer reviews online.
- Insurance Panda rates Fremont 3.7/5
Fremont Coverage Options and Discounts
Fremont provides car insurance to customers throughout the state of Michigan. The company provides basic liability car insurance that meets minimum requirements in Michigan. The company also offers collision coverage (which covers repairs to your vehicle after an accident) and comprehensive coverage (for theft, vandalism, and non-accident-related damage).
To sell car insurance, Fremont uses a hybrid model, selling car insurance both directly to consumers and through independent agents. Customers who prefer a more personalized customer service experience can talk to a Fremont agent. In contrast, customers who prefer getting insurance directly from a website can get their insurance through Fremont’s website.
Finding an agent near you is as easy as visiting the Fremont website and selecting your location. Alternatively, you can enter your ZIP code into the Fremont website for an immediate quote.
Fremont offers a range of car insurance discounts similar to those other major insurance companies offer. You can find multi-car discounts, good credit score discounts, claim-free discounts, accident-free discounts, low mileage discounts, and good grade discounts, among others.
Customers with both homeowners insurance and car insurance with Fremont may also be eligible for additional bundling discounts. Non-smoker discounts, multi-policy discounts, home alarm system discounts, and other discounts are all available to homeowners.
Additional Coverage Options Available
Fremont is a full-service car insurance company with a suite of insurance products to suit all needs.
Policyholders with unique needs can get boat insurance, RV insurance, farm insurance, commercial auto insurance, inland marine insurance, mobile home insurance, identity theft insurance, and even cyber-liability insurance through Fremont.
Some of the other insurance products available through Fremont include:
Personal Lines Insurance: Homeowners, personal auto, marine, farm owners, country estates, mobile homeowners, renters and rentals, cyber liability, and umbrella insurance.
Business Lines: Home business, business owners, commercial, business automobile, workers compensation, and umbrella insurance.
Roadside Assistance: If you need your car towed or run into another problem that leaves you stranded on the side of the road, Fremont’s roadside assistance coverage can help.
Whether looking for basic liability car insurance, full coverage car insurance, or a bundle of insurance products for all your property, Fremont may be the right choice.
Fremont Financial Strength
We analyze an insurance company’s financial strength based on its rating from A.M. Best, the leading financial analysis organization for the insurance industry.
When deciding whether or not an insurance company is “good,” it’s crucial to check the financial strength of the insurance company. Poor-quality insurance companies might struggle financially, increasing the likelihood of declaring bankruptcy (or denying your claim due to insolvency).
A.M. Best has given Fremont an average rating of A (Excellent). A rating of “A” indicates that Fremont should have no trouble paying out claims in the near future. Fremont has had either an A or A- rating since 2005. A.M. Best has also rated that the company’s long-term outlook is positive.
J.D. Power also ranks the largest insurance companies in the United States at national and regional levels. Sometimes, smaller companies appear on regional J.D. Power rankings. However, since Fremont only serves a single state (Michigan), the company is too small to appear on any J.D. Power rankings.
Similarly, Fremont has not been ranked by other major consumer rating organizations – like Consumer Reports.
Fremont’s Customer Reviews
Fremont has surprisingly good customer reviews online. Most insurance companies – even good ones – have poor reviews online. Few customers take the time to review their insurance company unless they’ve had a bad claim experience. Ratings tend to skew negative, so we’re surprised to see that Fremont has mostly reasonable reviews online.
Satisfied Fremont Insurance customers frequently praise the company for its smooth and effective claims settlement process. They appreciate the support and assistance provided by customer service reps and adjusters. However, dissatisfied customers criticize Fremont Insurance for communication problems and delays in the claims process.
Despite being in business for 145 years, Fremont is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau. BBB accreditation doesn’t mean much, but it does help organize certain reviews and complaints about companies. Fremont has an “A+” rating from the BBB. Just seven complaints about Fremont have been filed in the last three years.
Meanwhile, one insurance review aggregator website has given Fremont an average rating of 3.79 stars out of 5 with 32 customer reviews. 64% of customers have given Fremont an “Excellent” rating of 5/5 stars, with all other customers giving “Great” (4/5) or “Good” (3/5) ratings.
What are the Pros and Cons of Fremont Insurance?
- Affordable rates: Fremont Insurance offers competitive auto insurance prices in Michigan, one of the most expensive states for car insurance.
- Great coverage selection: Fremont Insurance provides a wide range of coverage options for auto insurance, including roadside assistance, loan/lease gap coverage, full glass coverage, accident/violation forgiveness, excess attendant care, and vehicle-enhanced physical damage.
- Excellent financial stability: Fremont Insurance has an A rating from AM Best, which means it has a strong ability to pay out claims
- Poor claims process: Some customers have complained about the slow and unresponsive claims service from Fremont Insurance. They also reported issues with getting fair compensation for their damages.
- Inconsistent service standards: Fremont Insurance’s service quality may depend on the local agent you work with. Some customers have praised the courteous and helpful agents, while others have experienced rude and unprofessional behavior
- Limited availability: Fremont Insurance only operates in Michigan, so it may not be an option for drivers who live or travel outside the state.
Frequently Asked Questions
Final Word on Fremont
Fremont sells insurance products – including car insurance – exclusively in Michigan. The company is generally well-rated by drivers and policyholders in Michigan.
Fremont isn’t the largest car insurance company. However, the company has been smoothly operating since 1876. Fremont also seems to be in a stable financial position. Although Fremont isn’t rated by large consumer rating agencies like J.D. Power, most customer reviews indicate a positive experience with Fremont overall.
Is Fremont a good insurance company? It certainly seems to be. The company offers well-rated car insurance, home insurance, and business insurance to policyholders throughout the state of Michigan.
You can request a quote with Fremont online today through the official website. Or, you can use the official Fremont website to find an independent agent near you.