Nurses are the unsung heroes of healthcare. As a nurse, you work up to 12 hour shifts taking care of others. It is only right that you get some discounts and perks for all of the education you went through, as well as your hard work and dedication. One of the perks that you may be able to qualify for as a nurse is discounts on car insurance.
What is the Nurse Car Insurance Discount?
The nurse car insurance discount is available for nurses at multiple levels. You do not have to be a registered nurse to take advantage of these discounts. You can be an LPN or CNA as well and still get the discount for nursing staff. Whether or not you will qualify for the nursing discount at the lower levels depends on the car insurance company and their eligibility requirements.
Depending on the car insurance company, you could get between four and ten percent off your normal premium amount just for being a nurse. There is little you have to do to get this discount. When you call around for car insurance quotes, ask if there is a discount for nurses and what the discount is.
Discounts for Memberships
If you are a member of the American Nursing Association, you may qualify for additional discounts. The ANA offers many perks to members, including discounts on car insurance through Nationwide and others. Membership in the ANA has many other perks and discounts as well, as well as offering professional development opportunities. It could be well worth it to become a member.
What Companies Offer Nurses Discounts?
Not all car insurance companies offer discounts for nurses. Some of the car insurance companies that offer nurse discounts include:T
Other car insurance companies may also offer discounts for nurses and health professionals. The best way to determine if your car insurance company offers this discount is to ask them directly.
What Do I Need to Get the Discount?
Some of the discounts for nurses require you to be a member of the American Nursing Association. If you are a member, you may need to provide proof of your membership to get the discount. Other nursing discounts offered by car insurance companies require you to provide a copy of your nursing degree or a photo of your hospital identification badge. Other insurance companies have a form to file that verifies your employment as a nurse.
Can You Stack Discounts?
In most cases you can stack different types of discounts with your nurse’s discount to get even lower rates. Some of the most common discounts to stack with the nurse’s discount include:
- Safe Driver Discount: Many companies offer a discount if you have been three or five years without any traffic violations
- Tech Safe Driver Discount: Some companies, like Progressive, allow you to use an app on your phone and sensor in your car to measure your driving habits for an additional discount
- Accident-Free Discount: If you have had no accidents or claims in the last three to five years you could qualify for a discount
- Multi-car Discount: Given to families who are insuring more than one car. You have to be listed as a driver for the car to get your nurse’s discount to stack with the multi-car discount.
- Bundle Discount: Many car insurance companies also offer homeowners insurance, renters insurance, travel insurance, or life insurance. The more policies you have with the same company the lower your rates will be.
- Good Student Discount: If you are working as a nurse but are still in school to further your education, you could qualify for a good student discount based on your GPA and grades. To get this discount you will have to show proof of enrollment and GPA.
There are several other discounts that you may be able to get depending on your background and the organizations that you hold memberships in. The best way to get the lowest possible rate on car insurance is to ask what discounts are available when you contact the car insurance companies for a quote. Make sure you cover all your bases, and then ask if discounts stack.