Is Mile Auto Insurance Legit?
Last Updated on April 29, 2023
Mile Auto is an auto insurance company offering unique pay-per-mile insurance products.
Ideal for students, retirees, empty nesters, urban commuters, Sunday drivers, remote workers, and anyone else who drives fewer than 10,000 miles per year, Mile Auto could be the right choice for you.
Is Mile Auto legit? How does Mile Auto work for car insurance? Keep reading to find out everything you need to know about the new car insurance company today in our review.
- Mile Auto is a car insurance company that offers a unique pay-per-mile insurance product that can be ideal for drivers who drive fewer than 10,000 miles per year.
- Mile Auto is a legitimate company with policies underwritten by a national insurance company with an “Excellent” financial strength rating from A.M. Best, and all insurance products are backed by one of the largest reinsurers in the world.
- Mile Auto tracks your monthly mileage through the MVerity system by sending you monthly reminders to take a photo of your odometer. You only pay for the miles you drive plus your base rate.
- Mile Auto’s unique insurance system is the right choice for anyone who drives fewer than 10,000 miles per year, including college students, empty nesters, urban commuters, retirees, weekend explorers, and remote workers. Mile Auto offers full coverage car insurance, increased liability coverage, additional coverages, and storage insurance. Many drivers save 30% to 40% off standard auto insurance rates with Mile Auto.
What Is Mile Auto?
Mile Auto is a car insurance company founded by a group of experienced car insurance experts.
The company’s policies are underwritten by a national insurance company with an “Excellent” financial strength rating from A.M. Best, and all insurance products are backed by one of the largest reinsurers in the world.
Mile Auto aims to disrupt the car insurance industry with a unique pay-per-mile insurance product.
With ordinary car insurance, you pay monthly premiums for unlimited miles. For example, you might pay $120 per month whether you drive 10 miles or 10,000 miles that month.
Mile Auto uses a different approach. With Mile Auto, you pay a low monthly base rate. Then, you pay extra based on the miles you drive. You might pay $20 for car insurance this month, then pay $80 for car insurance next month because you went on a weeklong road trip.
Mile Auto is currently available in select states, including Arizona, California, Georgia, Illinois, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Texas. The company plans to expand to other states soon.
How Does Mile Auto Work for Car Insurance?
Mile Auto works in a unique way for car insurance. Instead of paying a fixed monthly rate, you pay a low fee per month, then pay a fixed rate for each mile you drive. The more miles you drive in a month, the more you pay.
Here’s an example of how Mile Auto may work for car insurance:
- You pay a base rate of $45 per month for car insurance from Mile Auto.
- For every mile you drive, you pay a per-mile rate of $0.10.
- If you drove 200 miles this month, you paid $65 per month for car insurance, including your base monthly rate ($45 per month) and an additional $20 based on your monthly mileage.
Mile Auto calculates your base rate and per-mile rate based on your driving history, years of driving experience, credit score, coverage options, state insurance laws, and deductibles, among other factors.
How does Mile Auto track your monthly mileage? Unlike other insurers, Mile Auto doesn’t require you to plug a black box into your vehicle to track your every movement; instead, the company uses the MVerity system to send you monthly reminders. Then, you respond via text or email with your odometer reading. Each text and email has a link to automatically open the camera on your smartphone. Take a photo of your odometer, and MVerity verifies the information and authenticity, then calculate your monthly mileage based on previous readings.
Here’s how to use Mile Auto each month:
Step 1) Once a month, send Mile Auto a photo of your odometer. The company emails or texts you with a link to open your phone’s camera. Just click that link, open your phone’s camera, and send a photo of your odometer.
Step 2) Save. You only pay for the miles you drive plus your base rate. There are no surprise costs or hidden fees.
Step 3) Enjoy the extra money in your pocket. Mile Auto can help you maintain good car insurance coverage without high premiums.
Mile Auto offers full coverage car insurance, which includes liability, collision, and comprehensive coverage. You can also add additional coverages to your policy, including rental car reimbursement and roadside assistance.
Who Should Use Mile Auto for Car Insurance?
Mile Auto’s unique pay-per-mile system is the right choice for some drivers but not others.
Some drivers who could benefit from Mile Auto’s unique car insurance include:
- College students
- Empty nesters
- Urban commuters
- Weekend explorers and Sunday drivers
- Remote workers
According to MileAuto.com, the company’s unique insurance system “likely makes sense” for anyone driving fewer than 10,000 miles annually. The average American with an ordinary commute drives around 14,000 miles per year.
Mile Auto Features
Mile Auto offers all of the following features to distinguish itself from other leading car insurance companies:
Full Coverage Car Insurance: Mile Auto offers full coverage car insurance, which includes liability coverage, collision coverage, and comprehensive coverage. You can protect your own vehicle from accident damage, protect yourself from damage you cause to other people, and protect your vehicle from theft, vandalism, and other damages.
Increased Liability Coverage Available: Mile Auto offers insurance policies to meet minimum liability requirements in your state. You can also pay extra for higher liability limits and greater coverage.
Additional Coverages Available: Mile Auto also offers roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement, and other optional coverages.
Storage Insurance: Mile Auto’s base rate functions like storage insurance. You pay this base rate whether you drive your car 0 miles or 1,000 miles this month. If you store your car for multiple months but want to maintain coverage, then Mile Auto’s storage insurance could be the right choice for you.
Save 30% to 40% Off Ordinary Car Insurance: If you drive fewer than 10,000 miles per year, then Mile Auto could be the right choice for you. According to the official website, many drivers save 30% to 40% off standard auto insurance rates.
Available in Select States: Mile Auto is currently available in Arizona, California, Georgia, Illinois, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Texas. The company plans to expand to other states soon.
Prove Mileage Via Odometer Readings – Not Tracking Software: Many major insurers offer customized rates based on driving activity, but they use invasive apps or black box hardware to track every move. Mile Auto takes a different approach, allowing you to prove mileage via odometer readings. Mile Auto emails or texts once a month with a request for a photo of your odometer. You provide a photo of your odometer, and Mile Auto verifies that photo, then calculates the rate based on the number of miles you have recently driven.
Protected via MVerity: Mile Auto secures its insurance system via MVerity. MVerity authenticates the odometer photos you send. It extracts your odometer data, confirms the vehicle and authenticity of the photo, and compares it to previous odometer readings. All of this authentication occurs behind the scenes. You just take a photo of your odometer, and your job is done.
Customized Car Insurance Rates Based on Personal Risk Factors: Like all car insurance companies, Mile Auto calculates car insurance based on personal risk factors. Safe drivers with years of driving experience pay less for base rates and less per mile than unsafe drivers with limited driving experience. Mile Auto also considers credit score, location, vehicle use, age, gender, and state insurance laws.
Exclusive Provider of Porsche Auto Insurance: Mile Auto is the exclusive provider of Porsche Auto Insurance, a special type of auto insurance specifically for Porsche drivers. Some of the unique things about Porsche Auto Insurance include tailored rates, genuine Porsche parts, and agreed-value coverage for Porsche drivers.
Is Mile Auto Legit? Mile Auto Insurance Reviews
Mile is a relatively new car insurance company, although the company has already collected strong reviews from customers who are happy with Mile Auto and how the company works. Generally, Mile Auto works best for drivers who drive 20 to 40 miles daily or less.
Here are some of the Mile auto insurance reviews to consider before you sign up:
- Value Penguin rated Mile Auto 3.5 stars out of 5, praising the company for its cheap rates and simple pricing model. Value Penguin’s research showed Mile Auto was an excellent choice for anyone who drives fewer than 27 miles per day. However, they found it was a less ideal option for long-distance commuters, shoppers who want to manage their policy online, and drivers who want excellent customer service.
- Clearsurance, a review aggregator website, has a 3.18 star out of 5 rating for Mile Auto. Most reviewers (62.50%) have given the company a perfect 5-star rating. However, a significant number (37.50%) have given it a poor, 1-star rating. There are only eight reviews overall. Customers praised the company for its affordable pricing – especially on multiple vehicles with low monthly mileage. However, customers expressed frustrations dealing with Mile Auto’s customer service.
- Trustpilot has an average rating of 3.7 stars out of 5 for Mile Auto, with 70% of reviewers giving the company a perfect, 5-star rating. Unlike Clearsurance users, Trustpilot users had great things to say about Mile Auto’s customer service, claiming agents answered questions, solved problems, and dealt with concerns quickly.
- Reviewers have few complaints about how Mile Auto handled car insurance. When looking at car insurance reviews online, you’ll typically find many complaints about accident and claim handling. With Mile Auto, there are relatively few complaints about payments, claims processing, or delays.
- Mile Auto’s policies are underwritten by a national insurance company rated “Excellent” by AM Best. AM Best assesses the financial strength of insurance companies based on their assets and liabilities. An Excellent rating means the company is in a good position to handle future claims without issue. Mile Auto is also backed by “one of the world’s largest reinsurers,” according to the official website.
About Mile Auto
Mile Auto is a pay-per-mile auto insurance company founded in Atlanta, Georgia. The company was recently ranked no. 477 on the 2022 Inc. 5000 list, which recognizes the 5,000 fastest-growing companies in the United States.
You can contact Mile Auto via the following:
Phone (Customer Care & Claims Hotline): 888-645-3001
Online Form: https://www.mileauto.com/contact-us
Mile Auto’s customer service is available Monday through Friday from 9am to 6pm across the continental United States.
Mile Auto is a pay-per-mile car insurance company aiming to disrupt the insurance industry with a unique product.
65% of Americans drive fewer than 10,000 miles per year. Many of those drivers can save hundreds by switching to Mile Auto. With Mile Auto, you pay a base rate per month along with a fixed rate per mile you drive.
To learn more about Mile Auto or to make the switch today, visit the official website.