Is Mercury Good for Auto Insurance?
Last Updated on November 29, 2020
Mercury is an insurance company that offers car insurance as well as a variety of other insurance policies. Their auto insurance policies are currently available to customers in 11 states: Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, New Jersey, New York, Nevada, Oklahoma, Texas, and Virginia. With so many different auto insurance companies to choose from, it can be difficult to determine which one is best for you and if Mercury is worth your money. Here’s what you need to know about Mercury auto insurance before you buy a policy from them.
What Types of Coverage Does Mercury Offer?
Mercury offers many different types of car insurance coverage to its customers. You can talk to your car insurance agent to customize your policy with the type of coverage you need. Depending on where you live, you’ll be legally required to have liability coverage, and some states require personal injury protection as well. Mercury offers these types of coverage. Liability covers medical bills and property damage for the other party involved in an accident, while personal injury protection, covers your medical expenses if you get injured. Here are the other types of coverage that Mercury offers:
- Collision insurance. This covers the cost of repairing your car if you get in a collision. This could be a traditional driving accident, but it could also apply if your car is parked and another vehicle hits it.
- Comprehensive insurance. If your car is damaged in any way other than a collision, this type of coverage will pay for it. Comprehensive insurance covers damage from flooding, flying objects, and other natural causes.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. This coverage will make sure that your damages and medical costs are covered if you are hit by someone who does not have insurance, or who doesn’t have enough coverage to pay for the damages. This type of coverage is required in some states.
- Roadside assistance. This type of coverage will help you in a number of challenging situations. If your car gets stuck on the side of the road, they will pay for towing (up to a certain distance), as well as on-site repairs in some cases. Roadside assistance also covers fuel delivery, emergency locksmith services, and battery jumps.
- Medical payments coverage. This coverage pays for a broad range of medical expenses for you and your passengers if you are in an accident. They can also cover your medical expenses if you are hit by a car as a pedestrian. In the worst-case scenario, they can even cover funeral expenses.
- Rideshare insurance. If you drive for Uber or Lyft, it’s advisable to have extra car insurance coverage in case you get into an accident with a passenger in the car. Mercury offers insurance policies specifically for rideshare drivers.
- Rental car reimbursement coverage. This policy add-on will pay for a rental car if you get into a crash or any other situation that leaves you without a vehicle for an extended period of time. If you live in an area without public transit or reliable cab service, it’s advisable to add this to your car insurance policy.
What Auto Insurance Discounts Does Mercury Offer?
Mercury is known for having low car insurance prices, and they offer discounts to help you bring your insurance costs down even more. While they don’t have quite as many discount options as some other companies, there are still several options that you may qualify for.
Some of Mercury’s most popular discounts include discounts for insuring multiple cars, bundling with other Mercury insurance policies (such as home insurance), anti-theft device discounts, good student discounts, and safe driver discounts.
Mercury also offers a usage-based auto insurance program called RealDrive. With RealDrive, you will receive a 5% discount on your insurance premiums simply for signing up for and remaining in the program. The fewer miles you drive while in the program, the lower your auto insurance rates will be.
Benefits of Mercury Auto Insurance
The biggest advantage of using Mercury for your auto insurance is that they are incredibly affordable. They are a great option for young drivers or any other drivers who struggle to find affordable policies because they are generally very cheap. They offer all of the basic coverage options you would need to protect yourself. Mercury also has a very convenient mobile app that you can use to file claims, pay your bills, reach out to your agent, or even download a digital insurance card. This is a huge benefit for tech-savvy drivers.
Downsides of Mercury Auto Insurance
As with any auto insurance company, there are also some downsides to using Mercury as your car insurance provider. Although Mercury is a very affordable car insurance company, you get what you pay for – they don’t offer as many coverage options as other companies. They also don’t have as many discount options to help you save money. For those who are looking for advanced coverage options, Mercury’s auto insurance may be somewhat lacking. While their auto insurance is very affordable, their homeowner’s insurance and other types of insurance coverage are much more expensive when compared to competitors, which makes it difficult to bundle insurance if you are on a budget. Mercury is also only available in 11 states, so if you move to a state that doesn’t have Mercury, you’ll need to switch to a different provider.
Additionally, Mercury receives an above-average number of complaints about their insurance when compared to competitors. In particular, they receive complaints about very inconsistent service, and some consumers even report losing their coverage after filing claims. However, Mercury policies are sold entirely through independent agents. This means that the customer service experience can be wildly different for customers depending on which agent they use. However, if you are looking for a completely painless insurance process, Mercury may not meet your needs.
Final Word on Mercury Insurance
Just like any other insurance company, Mercury has its upsides and downsides. If you live in a state that has Mercury insurance offices, it’s worth getting a quote to see how their prices compare to your other options. Since Mercury is known for affordable basic policies, they are a great choice for young drivers on a budget, or people who only drive occasionally. However, if you are looking for more robust coverage, you may find that Mercury falls short in some areas.
|Company Address||4484 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90010