Operating as a “Tort” state, Oklahoma motor vehicle operators are held financially responsible for any and all property damage and bodily injury that occurs in an auto accident for which said driver is at fault. For this reason, Oklahoma mandates a minimum liability insurance level of 25/50/25 (see the chart below).
Oklahoma has one of the simplest auto insurance laws in the country, with one of the toughest enforcement policies. If you are stopped by a law enforcement official for a traffic violation or any other reason, you need to show proof of insurance. If you don’t have proof, the Department of Public Safety will be notified. According to the auto laws of Oklahoma, your tags and registration can be suspended.
This is why you need to carry proof of insurance in your car.
Oklahoma drivers may add additional protection to their automotive insurance policy by opting for collision, comprehensive, uninsured/underinsured motorist, and/or medical payment coverages.
|Coverage Type||Required?||Minimum Coverage Amount Required|
|Bodily Injury Liability||Yes||$25,000 per person
$50,000 per accident
|Property Damage Liability||Yes||$25,000|
|Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury||No||$10,000 per person
$20,000 per accident
|Underinsured Motorist Coverage||No|
Auto Insurance for Leased Vehicles in Oklahoma (OK)
Most leasing companies in Oklahoma typically require drivers to maintain insurance coverage which exceeds the minimums set by Oklahoma state law. This is to protect you financially, as well as your leasing company, should they be held partly responsible. Most leasing companies will recommend the following amounts of insurance coverage:
- Bodily injury liability coverage: $100,000 per person/$300,000 per accident
- Property damage liability coverage: $50,000
- Comprehensive and collision coverage: $500 maximum deductible
Contacts For Car Insurance In Oklahoma
|Oklahoma Tax Commission: Motor Vehicle Division
2501 Lincoln Blvd.
Oklahoma City, OK 73194-0013
|Oklahoma Insurance Department
2401 N.W. 23rd Street, Suite 28
Oklahoma City, OK 73107
Insurance Agents By City/Town In Oklahoma
- Broken Arrow, OK – Cheap Car Insurance
- Edmond, OK – Cheap Car Insurance
- Enid, OK – Cheap Car Insurance
- Lawton, OK – Cheap Car Insurance
- Midwest City, OK – Cheap Car Insurance
- Moore, OK – Cheap Car Insurance
- Muskogee, OK – Cheap Car Insurance
- Norman, OK – Cheap Car Insurance
- Oklahoma City, OK – Cheap Car Insurance
- Stillwater, OK – Cheap Car Insurance
- Tulsa, OK – Cheap Car Insurance