You can associate Indiana with many things. It borders the great lakes and was once home to a large railroad hub, but one of the most popular pastimes for many residents and tourists alike is the Indianapolis 500 and Brickyard races. This high thrill sport has been around for many years and involves cars running in close proximity at very high speeds. It’s important to remember that their behavior is confined within a regulation track and drivers and cars are insured at much higher rates than your average driver. So, the next time you feel like having a Nascar moment on the real road, move your foot away from the pedal. Even regular Indiana insurance might not protect you from those consequences
Overall, Indiana auto insurance can protect you, but it’s important to set the right coverage amounts first. If you aren’t sure where to get started when searching for car insurance, don’t worry. Many insurance experts recommend shopping around, but how do you find the best prices? It doesn’t have to be hard. All you need to do is use our simple quote comparison tool. It provides you with competitive Indiana car insurance quotes in a short amount of time. You’ll get rates from local reliable providers, making your search easier. Keep reading for more information regarding the details of Indiana car insurance.
Average Auto Insurance Prices in Indiana
While car insurance rates are going to vary by city, you’ll find that the most expensive insurance rates in Indiana are in the northwest cities, suburbs, and around more Lake Michigan. Surprisingly, Indianapolis is not very expensive and rural areas also enjoy low car insurance rates. But, just because you live in southern rural Indiana doesn’t meant that you have a guaranteed low car insurance rates. There are many different factors that help calculate your premium as a whole. One of the most significant impacting factors is your driving record.
Having a clean driving record is the best way to qualify for low car insurance rates. With each application received, an insurance company must consider a variety of factors to better understand just how much risk you pose the insurance company; the higher the risk, the higher your premium. So, if you’ve had several speeding tickets within the last few years and other types of violations, the insurance company charges you more because according to your driving history, you’re more likely to speed. Of course, there are other factors that determine your insurance rates. Don’t hesitate to ask your insurance agent how your rates are being determined.
- Current average annual auto insurance premiums in the United States: $1666.62
- Current average annual auto insurance premiums in Indiana: $1518.00
Most Expensive Indiana Insurance Rates
- Calumet (46402): $1,455
- Calumet (46406): $1,443
- Calumet (46409): $1,433
- Calumet (46404): $1,423
Least Expensive Indiana Insurance Rates
- Fairfield (47905): $917
- Fairfield (47904): $917
- Fairfield (47909): $918
- Wabash (47906): $922
Indiana Minimum Auto Insurance Requirements
Indiana law recommends carrying a minimum amount of car insurance. Some drivers believe that as long as they carry the minimum amount of insurance, they’re protected. While it’s true that they can’t be ticketed because they’re within the confines of the law, they may not necessarily be protected in the case of a serious accident. Many individuals choose to work with a knowledgeable insurance agent to help find the right coverage amounts, but you can also come up with an estimate on your own.
One of the most important coverage forms is your liability policy. Liability insurance will help you if you cause a car accident. If there are bodily injuries or property damage, the injured party can make a claim against your liability insurance to receive compensation up to your coverage limit. If the compensation amount is approved by your insurance company and exceeds your coverage limit, you’ll be responsible for the remaining amount and could be taken to court. Sometimes, you’re sued immediately depending on the nature of the accident. Your liability insurance will provide legal defense and may help pay for your court costs including judgment, but again, only to your coverage limit.
- Bodily Injury Liability per person: $25,000
- Bodily Injury Liability per accident: $50,000
- Property Damage Liability: $10,000
The following amounts and policies are recommended.
- Bodily Injury Liability per person: $100,000
- Bodily Injury Liability per accident: $300,000
- Property Damage Liability: $100,000
- Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury per person: $100,000
- Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury per accident: $300,000
- Medical Payments: $5,000
- Collision: $500 deductible
- Comprehensive: $0 deductible
Penalties for Driving Without Insurance in Indiana
If you drive in Indiana, you must be able to provide proof of insurance. You can show proof of insurance multiple ways in Indiana:
- SR-21: Your auto insurance will file this form with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles if you’ve had an accident or received a ticket to verify that you have liability insurance.
- SR-22: You must file this form if you’ve been convicted of a serious driving offense.
- SR-50: This is filed with the BMV listing the start and end dates of your current policy.
If you can’t prove financial responsibility, you won’t be able to register your car and if you get caught driving without insurance, you’ll have your driver’s license and/or registration suspended. Fines are applicable.
How to Get Auto Insurance in Indiana
It’s not as hard as you think. Simply use our quote comparison tool to get started. We only require a bit of basic information to start with and you’ll have affordable quotes from local providers in no time! It’s free to get started and if you have any questions, we have a team of dedicated insurance professionals who can help you find the Indiana auto insurance you need.
Insurance Agents By City/Town In Indiana
- Anderson, IN – Cheap Car Insurance
- Bloomington, IN – Cheap Car Insurance
- Carmel, IN – Cheap Car Insurance
- Columbus, IN – Cheap Car Insurance
- Elkhart, IN – Cheap Car Insurance
- Evansville, IN – Cheap Car Insurance
- Fishers, IN – Cheap Car Insurance
- Fort Wayne, IN – Cheap Car Insurance
- Gary, IN – Cheap Car Insurance
- Greenwood, IN – Cheap Car Insurance
- Hammond, IN – Cheap Car Insurance
- Indianapolis, IN – Cheap Car Insurance
- Jeffersonville, IN – Cheap Car Insurance
- Kokomo, IN – Cheap Car Insurance
- Lafayette, IN – Cheap Car Insurance
- Lawrence, IN – Cheap Car Insurance
- Mishawaka, IN – Cheap Car Insurance
- Muncie, IN – Cheap Car Insurance
- Noblesville, IN – Cheap Car Insurance
- Portage, IN – Cheap Car Insurance
- South Bend, IN – Cheap Car Insurance
- Terre Haute, IN – Cheap Car Insurance
Additional Indiana Auto Insurance Resources
The information above is for reference material only and Insurance Panda cannot legally be held responsible for anything written above. For official information, visit these websites: