Bob from Pennsylvania asks: How can I chose the best car insurance company for my vehicle? How do I know which rates are best for my situation and if the carrier does really deliver?
Insurance companies are a dime a dozen. Like with any other purchase you make, it’s best to do your research before you dive into a contract with an insurance provider you know nothing about. Let me give you a brief walkthrough on how you can find the right insurance policy from the right insurance company.
1) Know how much coverage you want and what type
There are many types of insurance coverage out there. The major types of coverage include liability, collision, comprehensive, uninsured motorist, and medical payments. To educate yourself further on these types of coverage, read the pages of Insurance Panda and explore our glossary.
More importantly, you should know your state minimum’s requirements for auto insurance. All states have at least some form of liability insurance requirement and usually some uninsured motorist or collision coverage is needed as well. It is illegal to drive without your state minimums, so in addition to the coverage you want, make sure you have the coverage you need.
2) Find the right provider
After you are equipped with the information you need to start shopping around, you need to do research on the companies you will be comparing quotes from. To make sure the providers you are looking at are reliable, there are a few different things you should look at:
- Licenses – Most likely, the insurance companies you find online or in your phone book will be licensed to insure. If you want to double check, however, you can check with your state’s department of insurance.
- Financial Stability – Checking the finances of an insurance company is a good way to find out how reliable they are. If you want to find a company that has a good reputation when it comes to paying out on claims, look up the insurer’s financial strength rating at agencies such as A.M. Best, Standard and Poors, or Moody’s.
- Consumer Satisfaction – Read reviews of the insurance companies online and see what customers are saying about them. Make sure there are not more complaints than compliments. A good way to start is to Google “insurance company reviews” and see what people like you are saying about them.
3) Compare Auto Insurance Quotes
You can start comparing quotes from different insurance companies easily online by using sites such as Insurance Panda. To start, scroll back up to the top of this page and enter your zip code to begin. After filling out our brief form, you will be given rates to compare from the most reputable insurance companies. All companies we work with are licensed professionals with strong financial ratings and high customer satisfaction scores. To get the best insurance rates possible, get quotes from Insurance Panda now.