Kansas is considered to be a “No-Fault” state, which simply means that your auto insurance policy covers you and your personal expenses and the other driver’s insurance policy covers them and their personal expenses relating to the accident. This is regardless of who is at fault.
This state carries with it one of the most detailed laws regarding mandatory insurance:
As required to be a “No Fault” state, each driver is required to carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP) with the following minimum limits:
- $4,500 in medical expenses, per person.
- $900 per month for disability/loss of income for year.
- $25 per day for in-home assistance.
- $2000 for funeral, burial, or cremation services.
- $4,500 total for rehabilitation expenses.
The following benefits are also required and fall into the PIP coverage as survivor benefits:
- $25 per day for in-home assistance for one year.
- $900 per month for disability/loss of income for one year.
In addition to the required PIP, all Kansas drivers must also carry auto liability insurance with minimum coverage levels of 25/50/10 (see the chart below).
Uninsured/underinsured motorist protection is also required by Kansas law with minimum levels of 25/50 (see the chart below). This will help cover expenses in the event that you are struck by an uninsured motorist, or one without enough liability coverage on their own policy.
Suing for injuries sustained is only allowed under circumstances.
Kansas drivers may increase their protection by raising the levels of coverage on their auto policies, and/or adding on optional comprehensive and collision.
|Coverage Type||Required?||Minimum Coverage Amount Required|
|Bodily Injury Liability||Yes||$25,000 per person
$50,000 per accident
|Property Damage Liability||Yes||$10,000|
|Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury||Yes||$25,000 per person
$50,000 per accident
|Personal Injury||Yes||$4,500 per person|
Auto Insurance for Leased Vehicles in Kansas (KS)
Most leasing companies in Kansas typically require drivers to maintain insurance coverage which exceeds the minimums set by Kansas state law. This is to protect you financially, as well as your leasing company, should they be held partly responsible. Most leasing companies will recommend the following amounts of insurance coverage:
- Bodily injury liability coverage: $100,000 per person/$300,000 per accident
- Property damage liability coverage: $50,000
- Comprehensive and collision coverage: $500 maximum deductible
Insurance Agents By City/Town In Kansas
- Hutchinson, KS – Cheap Car Insurance
- Kansas City, KS – Cheap Car Insurance
- Lawrence, KS – Cheap Car Insurance
- Lenexa, KS – Cheap Car Insurance
- Manhattan, KS – Cheap Car Insurance
- Olathe, KS – Cheap Car Insurance
- Overland Park, KS – Cheap Car Insurance
- Salina, KS – Cheap Car Insurance
- Shawnee, KS – Cheap Car Insurance
- Topeka, KS – Cheap Car Insurance
- Wichita, KS – Cheap Car Insurance
Contacts for Auto Insurance Information In Kansas
|Kansas Department of Revenue: Division of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 2188
Topeka, KS 66601-2188
|Kansas Insurance Department
421 SW 9th Street
Topeka, KS 66612-1678